Same type of pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last year I bought what I thought to be an albino pleco but turned out to be a L144. Fascinated by it I decided to get another one today yet it looks really different. The bigger one is the one I had and the smaller one is the new one.

The eyes are different color and it's more pale. I think my first time getting it was pale as well but I don't think the eye color changes. It was in the same tank I went to during my first time and it was at the same price. I showed the staff a picture and he pointed to this one.

Attachments

• image-385721386.jpg
    image-385721386.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1503764509.jpg
    image-1503764509.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 83
And it's color will stay like that? And are they both the same breed?

The lfs said he'll change color if the parameters are good and gets the proper diet

Thats the color that mine stayed at. The colors should get better but not that dramatic of a change imo.
The eyes on the second one are red i believe and the first ones are not indicating the second is an albino and the first is not.
Also the transparency of the body is due to a lack of pigment. How big is it?

tarpon said:
Thats the color that mine stayed at. The colors should get better but not that dramatic of a change imo.
The eyes on the second one are red i believe and the first ones are not indicating the second is an albino and the first is not.
Also the transparency of the body is due to a lack of pigment. How big is it?

It is very small. I think maybe 1 inch. What is a common name for the L144? Because I really want a L144 not the albino bn unless it looks like the one I have.

It wont look like the one you have. Bc it has no pigment it will stay pale. They are an interesting fish. Id keep it if you have room

Absoluty love the blue eyed one! I wish they had some up here. The other one does look like a true albino. I've never really cared for albino's either, that is until I got three ABNs they are just so cute! :)

Would the algae from my tank be a sufficient food source for the plecos? The algae I have is on my tank and rocks. I do see them eat it because their poop is very green.

I am not using them as a cure for my algae issue. Just putting it out there.

Cornstar said:
Would the algae from my tank be a sufficient food source for the plecos? The algae I have is on my tank and rocks. I do see them eat it because their poop is very green.

I am not using them as a cure for my algae issue. Just putting it out there.

L144;
Diet: An omnivore which should be more towards a veggie based diet with occasional meaty foods. It is also thought that wood should be supplied for Ancistrus species as they may eat lignin which is found in bogwood, this is presumed due to the fact that they have very long guts similar to panaques. They also extract Aufwuchs from the organic layer that devlops on the wood over time. Veggies such as courgette, deshelled peas, green beans, bell peppers will all be readily accepted from a young age.

Plecoplanet.com

I would supplement your l144 with vegetables. Algae may not be suitable.

Occasionally I feed Hikari excel herbivores. But I suppose I could throw in some veggies.

Any idea about the albino bn pleco?

The albino Bristlenose pleco should be given the same type of food as your other Bristlenose plecos - algae based foods combined with fresh vegetables and small occasional treats in the form of live or frozen meaty foods. Natural algae growth in the aquarium is also beneficial. Always include bogwood in the set up, since it is important for the intestines.

Aquaticcommunity.com

You could just google this stuff lol. Honestly, most of my experience is with carnivorous pleco's. My pride and joy is my gold nugget, he is my trophy fish. I like that L144 a lot tho!! :)

Thanks! I do have a large piece of malaysian driftwood as a center piece in my tank that they both like to graze on once in a while.

Would I have to blanch it or would it be ok to just sink the veggie?

Also, is it bristle nose or bushy nose? I say bristle but my lfs gets confused and then says bushy.

Cornstar said:
Thanks! I do have a large piece of malaysian driftwood as a center piece in my tank that they both like to graze on once in a while.

Would I have to blanch it or would it be ok to just sink the veggie?

Also, is it bristle nose or bushy nose? I say bristle but my lfs gets confused and then says bushy.

I think it depends on what you grew up with?? I know this pleco as the bristlenose. To make it simple, I would just sink the veggies. I use cucumber or even green pepper for my pleco's. I use these led weights I got from a petsmart (used to hold down plants) and just push them threw the veggies. They hold down nicely and the lead will not leach in the water.

Back
Top Bottom