sand advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi im in the process of changing my 50 gallon to sand my question is will i need to add some mts? The sand will be just under 2 inches deep. I have some mts in my 16gallon so it's not a problem if I need some. Thanks

You don't have to add MTS if you don't want them, I have a thick sandbed in my planted tank and I don't have them. The only thing that would be any concern is if you have a really thick substrate with no plants and the sand sits compressed and undisturbed for a long time anaerobic pockets can form(basically a buildup of trapped toxins) and if they are then released can harmful to your fish.

You don't have to add MTS if you don't want them, I have a thick sandbed in my planted tank and I don't have them. The only thing that would be any concern is if you have a really thick substrate with no plants and the sand sits compressed and undisturbed for a long time anaerobic pockets can form(basically a buildup of trapped toxins) and if they are then released can harmful to your fish.

I have live plants, could i just move the sand around gently when i clean? I don't mind adding mts if you think that would be better i have plenty lol thanks

I have live plants, could i just move the sand around gently when i clean? I don't mind adding mts if you think that would be better i have plenty lol thanks

The roots from your plants should take care of it as they move through the sand, if you really want to you can just run your fingers through the sand where you dont have plants when you do your water changes, or you could use something like a chopstick and poke around in the sand. Like I said you really don't have to add MTS if you don't want to, and just stir the sand every now and then if you're really worried about it. I have sand, live plants, no MTS, very rarely mess with the sand and I have no issues at all

The roots from your plants should take care of it as they move through the sand, if you really want to you can just run your fingers through the sand where you dont have plants when you do your water changes, or you could use something like a chopstick and poke around in the sand. Like I said you really don't have to add MTS if you don't want to, and just stir the sand every now and then if you're really worried about it. I have sand, live plants, no MTS, very rarely mess with the sand and I have no issues at all

I'm hoping to change the substrate tomorrow at the moment it's half sand half gravel, hoping all goes smoothly lol Thank you for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom