SEACHEM PolyGuard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do I need to remove carbon filter when I use PolyGuard as preventive measure, new fish or medicating?
Instructions on product doesn't mention it, it does mention "Easily removed by chemical filtration." :confused:
Please advise.
Thanks!

I'm not sure I'm understanding. Why are you adding it when you add new fish? If your adding a medication you need to remove the carbon until you wish to remove it. If your worried about new fish infecting old fish with something I'd advise getting a QT.

I'm not sure I'm understanding. Why are you adding it when you add new fish? If your adding a medication you need to remove the carbon until you wish to remove it. If your worried about new fish infecting old fish with something I'd advise getting a QT.

I was just reading the instructions on product (Use whenever introducing new fish) ... I did get a QT and I will use it every time I get new fish (see my MIGHT HAVE ICH article) Have a sponge filter in it. No carbon so it should be okay,right?

Another thing, how should I keep the bacterial/biological balance in my QT when there is no fish in there?

TY

almcloud said:
I was just reading the instructions on product (Use whenever introducing new fish) ... I did get a QT and I will use it every time I get new fish (see my MIGHT HAVE ICH article) Have a sponge filter in it. No carbon so it should be okay,right?

Another thing, how should I keep the bacterial/biological balance in my QT when there is no fish in there?

TY

Oh ok :)
Yep no carbon to absorb the medication.
You can either dose the tank with ammonia every few days to keep the bacteria alive OR move the sponge filter to your DT to keep it seeded. If doing the latter you will have to make sure it's not carrying anything nasty from the QT to DT.

Oh ok :)
Yep no carbon to absorb the medication.
You can either dose the tank with ammonia every few days to keep the bacteria alive OR move the sponge filter to your DT to keep it seeded. If doing the latter you will have to make sure it's not carrying anything nasty from the QT to DT.

Where do I get the ammonia from? I would rather keep sponges separate :) to prevent carrying anything nasty from the QT to DT.

almcloud said:
Where do I get the ammonia from? I would rather keep sponges separate :) to prevent carrying anything nasty from the QT to DT.

Ah. That's a question for the Americans on the site. :) Ace hardware carries pure ammonia. Make sure it doesn't contain perfumes or any other additives. If it foams when you shake it it's no good.

Ah. That's a question for the Americans on the site. :) Ace hardware carries pure ammonia. Make sure it doesn't contain perfumes or any other additives. If it foams when you shake it it's no good.

Okay, I appreciate it. I will look for Ammonia now.
If you get a chance maybe you can read my last thread on my "MIGHT HAVE ICH" article to see if you can suggest something.
Thanks a lot!
:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom