Sediment in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben K

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently added a new piece of driftwood and rock. On these I have tied down some plants and only now have I noticed how much sediment I truly have in my tank, as the new plants and driftwood seem to attract them more then the other plants and driftwood did.

So, whats the quickest and easiet way to get rid of this sediment? I'd assume water changes, but seeing as I did a 50% water change two days ago, adding the new plants, driftwood and rocks yesterday, can I do a water change again without stressing otu the fish in the tank? How often can you do water changes?

I soaked the driftwood in a pail of water outside in the sun for two days. The driftwood hasn't released any tannins into my tank, unlike the first piece of driftwood I had put in back when I first set up the tank, almost a year ago, which turned my water the normal yellow.

So any answer to my previous question? How ofen can one do water changes? Will a 50% water change once every two days till I am happy that this excess sediment is gone be too stressful on the fish?

When I do water changes to close together my cory catfish spawn, that is the only downside I can think of. Depending how deep your tank is you can use a turkey baster to target clean areas.

Back
Top Bottom