Serious Dwarf Puffer Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have this dwarf puffer who has too much personality. I think based on my research he's 'bored' and that's why he's terrorizing every fish in my tank by gliding back and forth effortlessly, nipping away at fins and my swordtail's, tail.
I also start to speculate of the possibility that I've been blaming the wrong loach for the disappearances of my calm and loving ghost shrimp. Sometimes the ghost shrimp and loach's interact and have pointy javelins by their mouths so I assumed it was them.
My in-laws have a 60 gallon tank with only 2 fish in it. A hefty teenage goldfish and a Oscar. The Oscar without a doubt will tear that little pebble of a Puffer to shreds.
Petco and Petsmart won't take it. My local pet store where I bought him don't sell them anymore and seem reluctant to take him back. I know there are loving fish owners on craigslist but I wanted to exhaust all options before I just give him away. He was my favorite fish but now he's a terror to my tank.
I have a 15g tank. Heavy decor for my blue ram and tetras. Lots of hiding spots for loach and ghost shrimps. The problem is this little booger can fit in those tight spots to pick on the others.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Your puffer is just doing what puffers do. They are usually best kept by themselves as they are very nippy. Shrimp and snails are their natural diet.

Your puffer is just doing what puffers do. They are usually best kept by themselves as they are very nippy. Shrimp and snails are their natural diet.

+1 many, if not most, puffers are not good fish for a community tank. Dwarf puffers happen to fall into the category of being recommended for a species only tank. I think you should either rehome the puffer or your other fish, or get a new tank for the puffer.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys. The LFS ended up taking him back and giving me a guppy for free, a java fern at 50% off, and I got more shrimp. This is the same LFS that sold him to me and failed to acknowledge anything about the behavior. I knew going in that they were nippy and could be *******s but this only confirmed it. Awesome looking fish and I hope to get one in the future.

You did the right thing, they are way to aggressive for most community tanks and many other fish would see them as food. Species tank only, my 3 are perfectly happy together in a heavily planted 10.

Back
Top Bottom