Setting up 20 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mooky9669

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got my new Marina 20 gallon aquarium kit. It came with Fluval bio booster and Fluval Water Conditioner. I have read on many sites that doing a fishless cycle is better than doing a fish in. I currently have a 10 gallon tank that has one male swordtail in it. What would be the best way to do the cycle for my new tank. I don't want to do this cycle with the fish in it and have the risk of it dying. I have read that I should use the conditioner first and wait 24 hours and then at ammonia and booster . Not sure how much ammonia to add. I don't want to have any issues like I had when I set up my 10 gallon tank and I had problems where the water was cloudy and took forever to get clear. I mean the mistake of changing my filter cartridge too soon. Learn my lesson on that and had no problems with my 10 gallon tank since. Hope someone can give me some advice.
Thanks in advance for the help.

I just got my new Marina 20 gallon aquarium kit. It came with Fluval bio booster and Fluval Water Conditioner. I have read on many sites that doing a fishless cycle is better than doing a fish in. I currently have a 10 gallon tank that has one male swordtail in it. What would be the best way to do the cycle for my new tank. I don't want to do this cycle with the fish in it and have the risk of it dying. I have read that I should use the conditioner first and wait 24 hours and then at ammonia and booster . Not sure how much ammonia to add. I don't want to have any issues like I had when I set up my 10 gallon tank and I had problems where the water was cloudy and took forever to get clear. I mean the mistake of changing my filter cartridge too soon. Learn my lesson on that and had no problems with my 10 gallon tank since. Hope someone can give me some advice.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Ammonia should have recommended amt.
Anyway yea don't put your fish in an uncycled tank, I say this to everyone, its like me throwing someone into a fire.

I agree not to add fish. If I buy pure ammonia, like at Ace Hardware, doubt it will say anything about an aquarium. What about the bio booster? Can you add it and ammonia at same time? If not, any suggestions for bacteria to add since I can't use filter I cartridge I'm using for my 10 gallon tank with swordtail in it? It's a different filter on new tank, by the way. I will be using all decor in current tank in new one and wondered if I can put all of it in new tank and still have swordtail in 10 gallon? Would he be ok? I will at least take my bubbler out and put it in new tank when cycling. Read to use one if you have one to help cycle.

What I said I have is Fluval water conditioner and Fluval Biological Booster that came with my aquarium kit. I am a he by the way.

On my bottle it says to use the whole bottle. I just wanna know if I can add ammonia with it at same time and how often to check ammonia levels and what should they be?

Back
Top Bottom