Should a QT Tank always be ready for that impulse purchase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilovemyfishies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a 10 gallon tank to use as a QT tank during an impulse buy for some goldfish. Unfortunately one fish died and the other is doing wonderfully in my 60 gallon with his new brother and sister. I'm not PLANNING on purchasing any more goldfish for a few months, but since I basically live in the pet store, there is a good chance I may find a beautiful baby that I'll need to take home. Since I'm very impulsive with my fish purchases
proud.gif
do you all think it's wise that I keep my QT tank operational at all times, or just set it up when I bring home a new fish. Of course, I will put my cycled filter media in the filter at that time.

Lots of people just set them up as needed. Its best to have a extra filter just hanging around on your cycled tank and put it in when you set up. But you are also on the right track with transfering your media.

I think setting it up each time with filter media from an established tank will be better as leaving a tank empty with no filter or fish is just stagnant water!

I keep 2 QT tanks up and running at all times. I have tons of feeder guppies so I put a few in the tanks to keep them going and include those tanks in my maintenance schedule. When I get new fish, I remove the feeders and the new fish get the tank for a few weeks. After the new fish are done QTing, I do a cleaning and water change then add feeders again.

I keep both my qt tanks running at all times with some small inhabitants to maintain the bacteria. I also have 3 sponge filters soaking in my sump for extra filtration when I add new fish to the qt tanks. You never know when that one fish catches your eye!!

Yep, either method will work, it just depends on your fish lifestyle.

As an antedote, every QT tank I've ever left running in my house ends up becoming a permanant home to some kind of fish, so I quit keeping a permanant one.

Back
Top Bottom