Snail egg clumps - huge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok seriously....HOW many eggs can she have in her???? Do they just lay eggs all the time??? Are they all fertilized??? She laid 1 more clutch yesterday, and is in the process of laying ANOTHER one right now! Holy cow....

Ok, for real, does anyone know if these eggs are sterile and she just keeps laying them, or are they fertilized? She is currently in the process of laying MORE, which will make SEVEN clutches in there...She is quickly running out of room LOL.

I just removed the clutch from the snail that passed, so now there are only 6 in there. She has laid 3 in the lid, and 3 right above the water line, so I am hoping that the ones above the water line will be good to go. :)
What do you mean "the male part?"

Drookie is saying since snails are asexual meaning they can self produce they should be fertile. Drookie was saying that if they are not fertile maybe there is something wrong with the snails reproductive system. The "fenale" parts seem to be working fine with the sex clutches of eggs, but if they are not fertile then maybe the "male" part isn't working properly.

Its a reference to the human anatomny since I don't think snails have the male..."organ"

Drookie is saying since snails are asexual meaning they can self produce they should be fertile. Drookie was saying that if they are not fertile maybe there is something wrong with the snails reproductive system. The "fenale" parts seem to be working fine with the sex clutches of eggs, but if they are not fertile then maybe the "male" part isn't working properly.

Its a reference to the human anatomny since I don't think snails have the male..."organ"

Well, these snails do have the "male organ." ;) Which is why I am confused. You think she's a hermaphordite then? LOL! I have had 2 snails lay eggs, so I know they had to be fertilized at some point.

yeah, that was kind of more of a not so funny joke than anything, but if you dont have 5874902439857234896019587 little baby snails running all over the place, id say they're not being fertilized... maybe they've been exposed to lead (ok another bad joke... since california says it can cause reproductive harm...)

yeah, that was kind of more of a not so funny joke than anything, but if you dont have 5874902439857234896019587 little baby snails running all over the place, id say they're not being fertilized... maybe they've been exposed to lead (ok another bad joke... since california says it can cause reproductive harm...)

It made me Lol.

And snails are hermies :p.

Mystery snails are NOT hermaphordites...See below:

The apple snail has separated sexes (dioecious) and is NOT a hermaphroditic snail.
The differences between the sexes are not visible at the shell colour or patterns, but in several species, a difference in shell shape has been described. For example in Pomacea canaliculata, the aperture (opening) in the male has a rounder opening than in the female because of the large penial complex. This sex-difference is not very well visible and it's not a very reliable to dicriminate on individual base, but clear when measuring large amount of snails (in other words, it's possible to show the difference based on statistics).
In some species however, the difference between male and female are very obvious in the adult snails. For example in Pomacea flagellata flagellata, the male has a very wide shell lip (the shell opening actually has the shape of a trumpet) when reaching sexual maturity. This hasn't been described in the literature yet (october 2000), but the author of this site has observed this in his entire Flagellata population. This shell shape difference cannot be explained by the space occupied by the penial complex, but is rather a reproduction strategy: the male can block the entrance of the female's mantle cavity during mating, in order to prevent other males from copulating with the female. Note that this is only a hypothesis of the author. No serious scientific research has been carried out on this topic.

To produce an egg, the egg cell is brought to the receptaculum seminis. In this place, where the sperm from the male is stored, the fertilisation of the egg cells takes place. The spermatozoa (sperm cells) of the male can survive for more than a month in the female, and several egg clutches can be fertilised with a single copulation. DOH!

I believe they were being fertilized before all the dads decided to make them single mothers....LOL. ;) I still have another week, and then 2 weeks to see. :)

Info from: www.applesnail.net

hehe did not know that.. its a strange thing because I thought most/all snails were asexual. Its odd I was reading that apple/mystery snails have both sex organs, but require two to make babies.. that makes no sense, so I will just assume there are male and female mystery snails.. Also didnt know a mystery snail was also called an apple snail. :p, thanks for the knowledge :)

I didn't know either, until I did some research on mystery snails LOL. And it's not really an apple snail, just in the same family. Mystery snails get about the size of a golfball, and apple snails get the size of a baseball.

Back
Top Bottom