snails? help identify

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nedge85

Aquarium Advice Activist
I put 3 live plants in my shrimp tank and i can see that ive gained 1 snail, but can anyone help id these little critters? They circular, flat and have begun moving this morning

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111003_103634.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111003_103634.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 117
  • ForumRunner_20111003_103643.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111003_103643.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 127
The second picture looks like a ramshorn. The key is the shell looks like a rams horn, from what you're describing it seems like you've got these guys. Here's a picture of a ramshorn for you to be sure, your snails may not be the same colour as this one as ramshorns colours can vary but if the shell shape fits it's a ramshorn -

ram%20face%20view.jpg

Last edited:
+1 ramshorn. and is that moldy food? get that out of there. overfeeding is probably the reason you have the snails. cut down on feedings and they'll go away :)

Theyre not over feed, in 2 weeks theyve had 2 tiny helpings of Fluval Shrimp food (which they dont eat) between 10 of them. Plus u make it sound like the snails magically appeared because of the food.

They're trying to say that less feeding, will not allow snails to reproduce. Any left over food should be taken out so that there is none for the snails who thrive when there is lots of food for them. Cut back on feeding and remove any left over food and they will die off. You can try and remove them yourself too, they most likely came in on a plant.

Nedge85, yes, you are correct that the ramshorn snails did not magically appear because of your feeding habits. They most likely came in hitchhiking on the live plants you introduced to your tank. Snails often hitchhike on live plants.

I think even if you could feed less (I understand you have been feeding very small amounts of food), the ramshorn snails would decrease in population but still not disappear entirely. If you don't want them in your tank, then you will have to remove them. Some people like snails and some people hate snails, including ramshorns. People who like ramshorn snails like that they clean up the tank by eating leftover food, including rotting food; dead, rotting and dying plant matter; and algea. They also like that ramshorn snails will serve as an early warning system of bad water quality when they are all hanging around at the waterline/top edge of the water.

Ramshorn snails are peacefull and will not harm your shrimp. Your shrimp will probably clean the snail's shells by eating algea and bio-film off the shells.

Theyres also two nerites that hitchhiked in

Waste cleaned, will try and get pics of "nerites" to see how everyone else identifies them

They tiny at mo so hard to track down in a heavily planted 30l, but looking on net this is the closest i can find... and its a nerite.

Attachments

• nerite-snail.jpeg
    nerite-snail.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 73
Homer8 said:
that looks like a saltwater snail

I hope not, the plants they hitchiked on are from a fresh water environment and store that doesnt sell saltwater items. Plus they're still alive a week after being introduced to my fresh water aquarium

Some nerites live in freshwater some in saltwater. The one you found online appears to look like a saltwater snail, try lookin up freshwater nerite snail. :)

Thats what the 5 in my tank look like. The ramshorns (3) seem to have disappeared, but if these snails whats the best way to get rid id them? I know many on the forum dont like the Assasin route, not an option to out in my fish tank as it already contains a huge apple snail, my sister-in-laws tank theyd be cannon fodder for her Yoyo loach. Any suggestions?

At moment theyre not in a position i can snao very easiliy, plus my batterys low. Any suggestiin on ridding my plague?

Back
Top Bottom