So, a Goldfish, an Angelfish, Two Mollies, a Platy, and a Betta Go Into a Bar . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, a Goldfish, an Angelfish, Two Mollies, a Platy, and a Betta Go Into a Bar . . .

A 40 gallon bar, to be specific. I'm going to be stocking up my tank with more fish soon, and would love some suggestions as to fish that would be good companions with what I already have.

Specs:
40 gallon Marineland tank with built in hood and Biowheel filtration; Marineland StealthPro 200 watt heater; one 4" bubble wand with Tetra Whisper air pump for up to a 60 gallon tank. White sand substrate. Decor: Asian theme. Tank temp is usually between 76 and 78 degrees. pH runs high here naturally; a typical reading for me is around 7.6-7.8 when the tank is stable.

Patrons:
Male Goldfish - 4.0" (will eat very small fish, but is not aggressive)
Male betta - 1.5" (very sociable; not aggressive, even with his own reflection)
Male Dalmatian Molly - 2" (Can be bossy, but not aggressive)
Male Balloon-belly Molly - 0.75" (Can be bossy, too)
Male Angelfish - 2" x 3" (fairly aggressive, especially to new fish or very small frogs, but is not aggressive toward small fish, such as tetras or guppies)
Male Sunset Wag Platy - 1.5" (very friendly)

I'd like to add cherry barbs and either pearl or powder blue gouramis, and some albino cory catfish, but otherwise I'm taking suggestions for fish to add to my tank!

I should also mention that I use a little aquarium salt in my tank.

I have an angelfish and looked into getting a betta, but apparently they don't get on as the betta will fight other long-finned fish...

A 40 gallon bar, to be specific. I'm going to be stocking up my tank with more fish soon, and would love some suggestions as to fish that would be good companions with what I already have.

Specs:
40 gallon Marineland tank with built in hood and Biowheel filtration; Marineland StealthPro 200 watt heater; one 4" bubble wand with Tetra Whisper air pump for up to a 60 gallon tank. White sand substrate. Decor: Asian theme. Tank temp is usually between 76 and 78 degrees. pH runs high here naturally; a typical reading for me is around 7.6-7.8 when the tank is stable.

Patrons:
Male Goldfish - 4.0" (will eat very small fish, but is not aggressive)
Male betta - 1.5" (very sociable; not aggressive, even with his own reflection)
Male Dalmatian Molly - 2" (Can be bossy, but not aggressive)
Male Balloon-belly Molly - 0.75" (Can be bossy, too)
Male Angelfish - 2" x 3" (fairly aggressive, especially to new fish or very small frogs, but is not aggressive toward small fish, such as tetras or guppies)
Male Sunset Wag Platy - 1.5" (very friendly)

I'd like to add cherry barbs and either pearl or powder blue gouramis, and some albino cory catfish, but otherwise I'm taking suggestions for fish to add to my tank!

I should also mention that I use a little aquarium salt in my tank.

Your angelfish might not be aggressive to small fish just now but as they grow bigger it is something to watch out for.

As for using aquarium salt, this can harm certain kinds of fish and unfortunately one of those is corydoras catfish, so you will probably have to choose between one or the other

personally not a fan of tropical fish with cold water fish. how do you know the angelfish is a male?

personally not a fan of tropical fish with cold water fish.

Personally, I didn't know better when I first bought my goldfish. Since I'm unwilling to euthanize my goldfish for the sake of having the perfect tropical tank, I'm doing the best I can to work with what I have. Unfortunately, I don't have space for multiple large tanks and the goldfish is too big for a small tank.

How do you know the angelfish is a male?

If the sex of the angelfish has anything to do with recommending compatible tank mates, I'd be interested in knowing why. Otherwise, if you have some ideas for cool tank mates, by all means let me know.

This has turned into sort of a lose-lose situation. I posted my specs because in other threads I had seen members saying they couldn't make suggestions to other members about fish without knowing all the tank specs first. Yet, no one has engaged in any discussion with me about compatible fish, but rather have honed in on mistakes I have made out of ignorance. I am definitely new to being an aquarist and am open to learning all new things about it. But I feel a bit disheartened about this aspect of forum discussions (and, yeah, I know it's par for the course - it's just the nature of forums; they are communities, and it takes a long time to be accepted as a newbie).

I did appreciate the information about aquarium salt and coryadoras - that was something I didn't know before.

Perhaps, for whatever reason, this thread/topic was ill-timed or a beating of the dead horse. If so, I apologize.

I think you might have problems between the betta and gourami(s) if you get one (or more). I've always heard they dont get along since they're from the same family of fish (or something like that ;)).
I'd say a school of cherry barbs would be ok as long as you get 6 or so. And the cories will be cool if you get them. Im trying to think of other fish that would be cool in there... ill be back with more suggestions :)

I think you might have problems between the betta and gourami(s) if you get one (or more). I've always heard they dont get along since they're from the same family of fish (or something like that ;)).
I'd say a school of cherry barbs would be ok as long as you get 6 or so. And the cories will be cool if you get them. Im trying to think of other fish that would be cool in there... ill be back with more suggestions :)

Thanks, Jonathan :) I was at my lfs yesterday and I inquired about cherry barbs (which I love!) and they didn't have any in stock. I ended up getting two kuhii (sp?) loaches instead. Kind of an impulse buy. I haven't seen them since I put them into the tank - the guy at the lfs said they would hide most of the time, mainly coming out for food and at nighttime.

At one point, way back when, I had four dwarf gouramis in the tank with my betta and didn't have any problems. My betta seems to be pretty mellow.

I've always liked mollies - all of the kinds. I have one balloon belly molly in this tank and one regular molly.

There are so many little fish to choose from - tetras, barbs, danios, cories. They're all great fish. I love the cories that I already have (I have four - they are all named Jimmy). I suppose I should have some snails, too.

Anyhow, thanks for answering and for the ideas - I really appreciate it!

I think what Mgamer was getting at is that it's very difficult to sex angelfish, and it's pretty much impossible when they are young. The male will get the typical chichlid bump when he gets older, but that takes a while. Some people also say the males will have red eyes, but that's still a guess.

I did appreciate the information about aquarium salt and coryadoras - that was something I didn't know before.

You are welcome :), normally just comes from experience knowing things like that, as for compatible fish sometimes fish that 'are not compatible' will work out and some that supposedly are compatible will not work

Cherry Barbs would work...try to make sure you get more females than males (most people do 2-3 females per male). Male Cherries can chase the females and pick on them. As long as the Cherries aren't small enough for the Goldie to eat when you get them, you'll be fine.

I would get more Kuhli loaches....there is more of a chance of them coming out if you have a group of them...its not for sure though. :) Those guys like to hide.

I wouldn't try a gourami....if you get lucky with a more passive gourami, its likely your angelfish would be mean to the new guy....and there is a chance you could get an aggressive gourami and it could harass your other fish. I think that you are better off without a gourami.

Hope that helps!

I think what Mgamer was getting at is that it's very difficult to sex angelfish, and it's pretty much impossible when they are young. The male will get the typical chichlid bump when he gets older, but that takes a while. Some people also say the males will have red eyes, but that's still a guess.

Yes, I know what he was getting at. But it doesn't have anything to do with my question or the purpose of my post. As far as I know, whether the angel is male, female, transgendered, or a hemaphrodite is pretty irrelevant to my asking for ideas for compatible fish for what I already have, kwim? If for some reason it is relevant, then I'm glad to listen and learn why.

No offense, but you do have an odd combination. It's surprising that they get along. Male angels will get aggressive as they grow. I'm not too familiar with fish names, but you mentioned gouramis - they too can be aggressive. I think cherry barbs are peaceful but some barbs (like the sumatra barb) are aggressive. Of course it depends on the individual fish. If you want a community tank, you must consider the characters of each species. So I would suggest that you get peaceful fast swimmers (like the tetras) to cope with the ones you have. I'm sorry I can't be more specific with their names. Just be patient in choosing them.

Back
Top Bottom