Some Betta questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah i think they should be fine it wont hurt him i know that so if he eats them i would go ahead and give him some. Most betta foods are alot like chichlid pellets anyway. I have had a couple bettas before and they all did fine on walmart's betta food. it was cheap like $3 and it last me about 4 months.

I just got three fish 'given' to me when I went to buy the 5 gallon tank off of craigslist. One is a blue betta, one is a neon tetra, and one is a tiger pleco. *sighs* I guess the neon and the betta have been together for a while, so I figured I'd give it a try. Well, today, I see that the betta has completely nipped the poor neon's tail. Like, bloody stump fin nipping. So, my take: better not chance any fish you LIKE in with a betta.

Funny... usually it's neons nipping the betta...

Granted, I have a female in with my neons (3) and glolight, and everyone gets along... well, swimmingly. She's definitely supreme ruler of the tank but everybody lives happily.

I haven't had a problem. It is a moderately planted tank with driftwood and pots though-- places to hide and whatnot.

Neons are scared little fish when they're all alone, and what happened to your neon doesnt really surprise me. if he had a couple of buddies he would have been the one nipping the betta.

I kept my previous Betta in a 29 gallon with 2 Iridescent Sharks, 2 Balas, a Red Tail Shark, a Pleco and a Khuli Loach with no problems. My current Betta is in a 30 gallon with a Pleco, 3 Khuli Loaches, 3 black tetras and 3 Tiger Barbs and has no problems. A lot of it depends on the fish. Bettas have very unique and amazing individual personalities. I had one that would get mad and hide if I did not stick my fingers in the tank and pet his fins when I turned the light on in the morning and when I came home from work at night.

Yeah, there's no way I would have put that poor fish in there, but they had apparently been living that way for some time. I suspect that the little neon originally had some friends, and they were getting picked off one by one...the people I got the tank and the fish from didn't strike me as very observant of what was going on with their fish.

Well, If I had actually bought them, I would not have gotten any of them! *laughs* I went to pick up a used 5 gallon tank for the betta I already have. When I got there, the lady said her fish came with it. It was a betta, a neon, and a pleco! Yikes, not the mix I would choose for a 5 gallon tank!!! When I said I didn't really want them, she said she would just flush them. *sighs* So, I took them. The pleco wil have to find a new home soon, but for now he is OK. Very young and small, but he'll soon outgrow the setup.

Back
Top Bottom