"spitballing" 55 gallon ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story short, the "rescue" oscar is no longer available. Now I've got a 55 gallon with two Penguin 350 biowheel filters (700gph). Any ideas? I've been thinking about (more) loaches, Discus, a green terror, a gulper catfish... I'm up for practically anything. Any thoughts? Cool stuff I've never heard of? No guidelines except that it has to live permanently in a 55 (in freshwater).

Just a heads up, Gulpers have that name for a reason. Their mouths are way bigger than you would imagine. Personally I love green terrors, I have a male and female myself. Mine aren't exactly the most personable fish but it doesn't effect the love I have for them.

Jesse

Just a heads up, Gulpers have that name for a reason. Their mouths are way bigger than you would imagine. Personally I love green terrors, I have a male and female myself. Mine aren't exactly the most personable fish but it doesn't effect the love I have for them.

Jesse

Yeah, it would be a solo gulper. Didn't mean to imply all of those fish together, lol.

You know my answer.... swimming frisbees.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You know my answer.... swimming frisbees.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The #1 thing stopping me from discus is that I could get a gulper cat for around the same as a bunch of discus :lol: Been watching videos on youtube, gulper cats are HYSTERICAL to watch eat. But they're so expensive :(

food will get expensive for a gulper also. And when the novelty of them eating wears off what then?

I just got an electric blue acara for a steal and I cant believe how good looking they are. So much more colorful in the home aquarium than at the LFS. I am also a big fan of Hondruan red points (can you tell I like shiny blue fish). Rainbow cichlids, firemouths, Sajica are all nice as well.

i am not a big fan of the "wet pet" idea it gets boring IMO. But if i was to do that I would do an Hericthys escondido or a female festea,

How big is your acara Rivers? My wife recently brought one home, tiny little booger around 1.75" but stunning. Never seen them any where over 3" that I can recall

Jesse

How big is your acara Rivers? My wife recently brought one home, tiny little booger around 1.75" but stunning. Never seen them any where over 3" that I can recall

Jesse

Mine is about 2" I have seen some on you tube that look to be about 4" but it hard to tell. I was really surprised with the colors coming out of the little guy once settled.

Another idea for your tank is 1 or 2 female Nicaraguan cichlids (macaw cichlid) you could get a group grow out and keep two females and sell the rest. I love mine the colors are outstanding very metalic looking.

Hard to believe that the novelty wears off with gulper cats. And they would be useful for eating angelfish culls. I like the look of the red terror, the red points and the hericthys escondido, but will have to see if/where they're available.

Jesse

Ive seen a fully grown pair at the LFS. About 4.5"-5.5" long. Obviously i didnt pull them out an measure them, but thats my estimate... They looked good even in the tank with a RD and a Jag and a FH... Nice fish, they are.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Back
Top Bottom