Staring at a seemingly emply tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, so my 29 gallon isn't really empty. All my fish are comparatively small. My male Bolivian ram and clown pleco are the biggest fish and hang at the bottom/low level of the tank. I have Rasboras, black skirt and neon tetras, sterbial Cory cats, Bolivian ram, clown pleco and kuhli loaches. In the picture iv attached, it was taken from across the room, so you need to get up close for the fish to really catch your eye. I did some major plant trimmings this week. Normally the wisteria is all over the place. Any ideas for 1-2 larger, peaceful fish? I'm kinda open to anything. It just can't eat my small fish. Thanks. If you need more pics, let me know.

Attachments

• image-3182782435.jpg
    image-3182782435.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 114
I agree that a dwarf gourami would look good. Mine is now pretty good size. He is pretty much the feature fish in my 60 gallon. I suppose you could get a blue or gold gourami instead, but my recommendation would be a dwarf gourami. Mine is red with blue striping. And even though he was small when i got him a few months back he has become pretty decent size both vertical and horizontal.

How about a orange and white sail fin molly. They are very active and brightly colored it will really liven up your tank.

The top of your tank is very empty so maybe some fancy tailed guppies to add something to the top of your tank.

I agree that a dwarf gourami would look good. Mine is now pretty good size. He is pretty much the feature fish in my 60 gallon. I suppose you could get a blue or gold gourami instead, but my recommendation would be a dwarf gourami. Mine is red with blue striping. And even though he was small when i got him a few months back he has become pretty decent size both vertical and horizontal.

I'd go with his advice, gourami would be a great centre piece, 'mm going to be getting one!

How about a orange and white sail fin molly. They are very active and brightly colored it will really liven up your tank.

The top of your tank is very empty so maybe some fancy tailed guppies to add something to the top of your tank.

Not a very big fan of livebearer fish anymore, sorry. I know I can get ONLY males. If I do/did end up with a prego female though, I'm sure many of my fish would make quick work of any fry. And I'm ok with this. I was toying with the idea of an angel but I know how big they can get.

Not a very big fan of livebearer fish anymore, sorry. I know I can get ONLY males. If I do/did end up with a prego female though, I'm sure many of my fish would make quick work of any fry. And I'm ok with this. I was toying with the idea of an angel but I know how big they can get.

I completely understand I am getting rid of my female and keeping my male. I have about 75 babies and nature is not taking its course they have all survived. The male is so good looking that I have no problem keeping just him.

Gourami is an excellent choice also I have a really nice adult opaline gourami.

With your rasbora and neons, anything over 4" could possibly eat them. A good fish that is somewhat larger, and definitely a centerpiece is a bosemani rainbow. There is also other different rainbow fish that are great looking and don't bother small fish. You could also do a school of hatchets for the top of the tank. You could try to get very small angels (the size of a nickel) and they would be fine with your fish for a while. Gourami would work too, pearl, snakeskin, opaline, and dwarfs.

With your rasbora and neons, anything over 4" could possibly eat them. A good fish that is somewhat larger, and definitely a centerpiece is a bosemani rainbow. There is also other different rainbow fish that are great looking and don't bother small fish. You could also do a school of hatchets for the top of the tank. You could try to get very small angels (the size of a nickel) and they would be fine with your fish for a while. Gourami would work too, pearl, snakeskin, opaline, and dwarfs.

When I first set up the tank over a year ago, my mom wanted angel fish. I told her that I felt the tank size was too small for them. The Rasboras spend 90% of the time near the top, neons and black skirts hang mid water in and amongst the plants and fake wood thing on the right. Do any species of angels stay small? Think adult size of a 50 cent piece.

When I first set up the tank over a year ago, my mom wanted angel fish. I told her that I felt the tank size was too small for them. The Rasboras spend 90% of the time near the top, neons and black skirts hang mid water in and amongst the plants and fake wood thing on the right. Do any species of angels stay small? Think adult size of a 50 cent piece.

Leopold angels stay smaller, however they are more expensive due to their rarity ($15/fish). I honestly do not recommend an angel for your setup though, as black skirt tetras can be VERY nippy.

I agree rainbowfish or the larger usually more peaceful Pearl Gourami's would be a good choice. Black skirts are too nippy for angels and in time you will find they will grow to a pretty big size. The problem in the beginning is new fish are often quite small and are nowhere near their adult size so you look in a tank and go "where's the fish". But a year down the road those same fish will be a lot bigger and will make the tank appear more busy. You can also think about getting another schooling fish such as hatchet fish that school very close to the surface.

Ok everybody, did a re scape in anticipation of tomorrows (hopefully) new arrivals. Not real sure of what that will be. Please keep the ideas flowing;) I ditched the fake log decor, I hated it from the day I bought it. Hey it was in the overstocked bin at petsmart and rang up $3! And I needed something. The root decor,on the other hand, I love it as well as the fish. After moving everything, I guess I have NO plants except what was on the dw that I moved in the corner. So aside from fish, I need plants too.

Attachments

• image-4158424881.jpg
    image-4158424881.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1551586262.jpg
    image-1551586262.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image-3348344566.jpg
    image-3348344566.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 46
To get the carpeting effect you need a high tech setup. Usually plants will grow more vertically towards the lights unless there is very high light and co2. Tall java fern is cool too.

I picked up a geophagus surinamensis. I was told that it will max out at 5-6 inches. Looking on line though, I see everything from 9-12 inches. Brought home a mess of jungle vals too.

I'm seeing max size around 12", tank size 75g+. Probably not a good fit for your tank.

Great.... We will see what happens. The LFS when I bought him has a 24 hour return policy on fish and they are closed on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom