Starting to lose interest...Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where did the gravel come from? Could it be possible that there was a chemical on the gravel that would kill the BB in the tank? Are you having any ammonia readings in your tap water?

Assuming there is no ammonia in the tap water than back to back large 50%+ water changes are the best way to lower the ammonia. Just leave the tank with 1 hour between water changes. Once you get it dropped to an acceptable level than it is easier to maintain.

Until you get the ammonia under control I would suggest dosing prime as a detoxifier and invest in some sort of ammonia removing chips. Assuming the ammonia isn't solely coming from the fish, the ammonia source will eventually wear itself out and go away.

Gravel has been changed to sand. ...
Ammonia perfect from tap.
Other tanks in house all ok.
I will try back to back water changes with an hour interval and see how that gies.
Thanks all for your help and advice...

Guys...please help...I have huge ammonia spike in a previously 20g well planted tank. Made mistake of changing substrate. ..leaving old filter n water...all ok for weeks...now a disaster. High ammonia for 2 weeks. ..losing fish n plants....doing daily water changes. Now im reading I shouldn't. ..and should try n let it re establish?? Thoroughly fed up...have 3 tanks...and never had this issue. ...my tank has sand substrate with internal filter. ...Help. ..cant solve it

To tell the truth a lot of people lose interest when they start off with a 20g

I'm sorry to say but the less water you have the harder it is to maintain as every little problem has a big impact on a small amount of water

The more water you have the less issues you seam to have

Ok....since my last post I've completed back to back water changes...and got ammonia down to zero...only to find it goes back to .25/ .50 the day after. Cue another water change. ..no ammonia....back up the day after!!ive reduced feeding in this once established tank....what else can I do??

Is it possible you buried too much waste in the sand from the previous substrate? Maybe you buried a little fish that has rotted?

Not sure...I vacced the tank before putting new substrate in and there were no fish in tank when putting sand down....good shout though

How are your nitrite/nitrate readings looking. It really sounds like something had a cycle crash and the ammonia is probably just coming from the fish.

Both at zero...have been for several weeks now...ammonia at highest has been 4.0...only once though....most of time and recently its between 0.25 and 0.5...was always a zero...regularly.

Well where you're at now is a vast improvement from before.

I'm pretty sure it will stabilize barring any unforeseen factors.

New...just done the media thing...cheers
Yes dark....just running out of water and energy ha ha...fingers crossed. ..been a real puzzle this one as I have no issues with my other 2 tanks

I am not sure if this has been asked or not but what was the brand of the new substrate you put in and what filter are you running?

Not branded...but has no chemicals in it...I have another tank with same sand and that's perfect and so does a family member. ..with no issues. I thoroughly rinsed it and did both tanks at same time from same batch of sand

Ok ...0.25 after testing this morning...better ....should I leave to establish again or should I continue to water change....?

Update on tank...hope this isnt boring you....still at 0.5 ammonia ...done water changes all week...tested all week. Added media from perfect tank...and still have the issue? Any further ideas please?

Back
Top Bottom