Stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinsgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is what my tank looks like. I want advice on stock. I love oscars, but realise my tank (3ft)is not big enough. I also love dollars and angels. The betta is also a favourite.. What would be best to stock? Have 2 filters running, one submersible and a hangon.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart Tab 3G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1476418008337.jpg
    1476418008337.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 80
What is the total gallons in the tank?

If at least 30 gallons could do a community tank including an angelfish.
1 School of tetra, barb, danio or rasbora.
1 school of Pygmy corys
1 angelfish.

Long stemmed plants like Sagittaria. Angelfish are very pretty using their slim profile to hide amongst them.
And would give you activity across the tank with little aggression issues. Just make sure the school you pick are not fin nippers like tiger barbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is a 3ft Breeder. Think that's 40 g. Would love angel but someone noted that angel won't enjoy the current. There a bit of a current in there. I love the cichlids but most I researched needs more space. Like the bettas but someone advised against that too. So I'm in total darkness as I want pretty peaceful community fish that's not boring. If I could I'd have oscars but that's not happening

What activity do you consider boring? I think that tetras are mind numbing because of how oblivious they are to the outside world, but other people love how they look while schooling.

What's the advice against bettas?

There are dwarf cichlids that would work in your space, but most of them are not the *most* peaceful.

Could you rearrange your filters to limit the current while still reaching all areas of the tank?

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

Might do the diffusion as pp suggested. I like fish with personality. Someone advised saying the bettas can be aggressive. Also that if I get a angel that it may not at the fins. I also like the silver dollars but once again size is a issue

I think if you picked either a betta or an angel and arranged your stock around it you could do well.

Thanks I'll give it some more thought and research and then decide what to get and stock around that

Can I add some pepper Cory's? If so how many would be best?

Just my two cents. I know that you kinda glazed over dwarf cichlids, but Bolivian rams are relatively peaceful and would look gorgeous in your set up.
Maybe
2 rams
10-12 rummy nose tetra
Bn pleco

Just a thought

I've decided on 10 black phantom tetra and I jumped in and got some 4 pepper Cory's. Have not gotten the black phantom tetras yet. I will see if I can find some Bolivian rams. I have not seen them at lfs yet. Have seen the electric blues though. I'll go to another lfs and see if they have

Just my two cents. I know that you kinda glazed over dwarf cichlids, but Bolivian rams are relatively peaceful and would look gorgeous in your set up.
Maybe
2 rams
10-12 rummy nose tetra
Bn pleco

Just a thought

Rams are awesome but IMO hard to keep. Make sure you stay on your water changes and should be no problem

P.S. This was just a warning. I bought a few a year or so ago and ended up killing them 'cause i didnt know how to keep them. [emoji6]

Electric blue rams are selectively bred German blue rams. Keep in mind that "selectively bred" often, but not always, means "inbred." Plus they are expensive compared to regular blue rams.

You can always ask at your LFS if they can order Bolivians for you.

If they hard to keep I'll probably skip them for now till I have more experience. I'd rather wait it out till I find fish that is suited for me. I'll go with the 10 black phantom tetras. Maybe get some fancy guppies. Then I'm thinking a pair of angels. Would that be OK? I plan to buy a 4ft in December. Might go full cichlids on that or my beloved oscars.

If they hard to keep I'll probably skip them for now till I have more experience. I'd rather wait it out till I find fish that is suited for me. I'll go with the 10 black phantom tetras. Maybe get some fancy guppies. Then I'm thinking a pair of angels. Would that be OK? I plan to buy a 4ft in December. Might go full cichlids on that or my beloved oscars.

Depending upon the angel they may pick on the guppies. Maybe I've just seen some bad eggs though. [emoji23]

K, I'll try the guppies. Should the angels pick on them I'll move them to the planter tank and leave the shrimps. Then I'll just keep at the Cory's, the bpt and the angels. I might add more cories of a different type to make up the 8. Would that be OK? Thanks for all the help, sorry bout all the questions. You guys rock

The questions are what this is all about! Cories are fine with angels. I even kept some with my african cichlids for a while.

Sorry more questions. I looked around a little more and found I really really like the kuhli loaches. Can I add bout 6 of them and do only the 4 cories? Together with 2 angels and the 10 phantom tetras? Would that leave me over stocked?

It could depend on your fitration and water change schedule. Check out aqadvisor.com. You can go on there and plug in your tanks info and it will give you some info as to how it should work

Back
Top Bottom