Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dancin_trancy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all....I already have a marine aquarium and am about to start up a very small freshwater tank for the bedroom....anywho, its a 3g Eclipse tank, and I really just want one fancy goldfish, but Im assuming it would be too small for that tank right?

Any suggestions on fish I could stock in this tank, I would prefer as large of fish as possible, colorful as well. I love bettas but they dont swim very much....any ideas? And how many could I stock?

Yes, the 3 gal is too small for a Goldfish. You could have a single Male Betta with a few ghost shrimp or shails. 3 gal is just not enough space for many fish. Is the tank filtered and heated?

By "filtered" do you mean cycled? No, Im still reading up on that process for freshwater, and I will buy a heater prior to purchasing fish. Believe it or not, I was not aware that cycling was required for FW, only SW. Im curious of all the fish I had as a child....when you were sent home from the LFS with the tank and fish in the same visit....

Also, I will be getting a heater...but I actually had a betta in a hex tank....without heater...actually the water was pretty cold as the temp in the home was 70....and he was in wonderful health...and lived for a very long time...about 3 1/2 years...which is quite good for them. (Given I maintained the tanks water quality). Im amazed at how much the FW hobby has evolved....having mostly experience with SW, I assumed you just fill it up with water and put the fish in for FW.....(not that simple, but as compaired to SW, I mean)....

Well thank you for your help! Ill keep you posted on the progress...

why would you just fill it up and put the fish in with freshwater? Obviously if saltwater fish produce waste, freshwater fish are going to produce waste as well. And you still need to establish beneficial bacteria to consume the waste.

also the reason you see some betta's lethargic is becuase they are kept in such small habitats with out heat or filtratoin. If you keep the temperature warm enough betta's are quit active.

Ok, not everyone jump on my back here all at once! I do maintain a SW tank so I am familiar with the Nit. Cycle etc. When I said to "throw the fish in," I also explained I didnt mean literally, but in comparison to SW, it would be less involved. Perhaps I should have phrased it different. Im not careless..and would never have any living thing without researching the requirements for keeping it healthy and happy. Again, I should have said it differently, but I mostly was under the impression that most FW fish were less effected by water per. changes. So in terms of preparing the tank for the first fish, that it would be less invasive. I am aware that was incorrect...but as I said, I was not familiar with the ins and outs of FW keeping, (although its basically the same in most repects) So I apologize if I scared anyone in thinking Im going to be an ignorant fish keeper who "throws" the fish in water and calls it a day!

As far as the "filter" comment, because I specified that it was an Eclipse, I assumed it was understood that it had a filter, (would never have a tank without one) so when you said "filtered" I was not sure if you had meant cycled or what. So yes it is filtered with the Bio-wheel filter.

The betta comment made a lot of sense, I had my betta as a child (not an excuse for not having the water temp correct) so as far as activity, that could explain why mine was not as active.

Doubt you guys care. :) but I think Im going to get a betta for my tank.....beautiful fish.....and choosing to only have one fish would obviously be a good idea because of the size of the tank, and amount of waste produced....

Thank you for all your comments and info. I am really enjoying all the good info on this forum...

dancin_trancy said:
Doubt you guys care. :) but I think Im going to get a betta for my tank.....beautiful fish.....and choosing to only have one fish would obviously be a good idea because of the size of the tank, and amount of waste produced....

Of course we care! :D The betta is probably the best choice for something that small. A snail might be a good cleanup crew as well, although you could probably get away with a single cory cat if you really wanted to (they are happiest in schools).

:mrgreen: Well thanks for your support! :) hehehe (y) Ya, I think a betta (with nice warm water) will be great for the bedside table! Ill post pics when I get the little guy....after my tank is done CYCLING of course! :invasion:

Keep ya posted!

well i think a betta will be perfect, but you should also do a fishless cycle before you put the betta in. Although most betta's can survive a cycle just fine it would be much better if he was not subjected to the stress :wink: Maybe some cleanup shrimp, an apple snail or something would be beneficial as well.. and depending on the wattage maybe some live plants!

I didn't notice that it said Eclipse. Sorry for the miscommunication. :D The Betta idea is good. To liven up the tank I'd add snails and shrimp. But that's just me. :) Just make sure that if you use plants to not have ones that can tare the fins of the Betta. So either silk or live.

I have an eclipse 3 with just a 50 watt heater that I have kept a very happy and healthy betta in for about 2 years now. His only tank mate has been a very large apple snail to serve as a cleaning cew. Any attempt to put ghost shrimp in with the betta has only resulted in a fat betta: he eats them all. As a matter of fact, I think I have the hungriest betta on the planet!

Enough about my setup...my point is that the tank you have would be perfect for a betta! I hope it turns out well and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom