Stress Zyme = Bacterial Bloom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently added Stress Zyme (an ammonia fighting bacterium used to protect new fish) to my aquarium. Could this be the cause of a grayish murky water (bacterial bloom) or not?

Possibly,
Now that I use those type product that have enzymes or aloe, ,my tanks are al toast for clarity. Before then I was using Kent I had no signs. And I noticeed then,my doctor welfish Stress coat was mucking up the mini tanks

it seems to be clearing up after a few days. i didn't apply the 'exact' prescribed dosage to the tank and finished the correct amount last night and it is clearer. whether or not this has anything to do with it, i have no idea. from now on, i think i'll let nature work things out and stay out of the balance.

Just a Experince from a fellow Newbie... Stress Zyme is not a real Bacteria If you Notice Bio Spiral and NitroMax need to be Refrigerated after opened. I use NitroMax and Aqua Chargers 5 days in and i have Crytal Clear water all is 0/0/0 and PH is 6.8.. I went 9 weeks with bad advise from Petsmart i went to a Aqarium store in Phoenix and these guys set me right up Now i Run 2 AquaClear 500's and use Nitromax only on water changes The Aqua Chargers go right into the filter and last a life time.If I would of known all this 14 weeks ago i would of had a nice tank then but we all learn the hard way most likely ur having the bacterial Bloom let it go it will clear.

RancherAZ said:
...and use Nitromax only on water changes.

Just some observations here:

I don't know much about Nitromax... what I've seen so far suggests that it contains Nitrobacter bacteria which are the wrong type. Might want to look into that further as I think Bio Spira is the only one that has Nitrospira... the correct bacteria. :?

Regardless... you shouldn't need to use this product (or any other similar product) for every water change. Once you have your tank cycled you should stop using it. If you experience an ammonia/nitrite spike then your tank was never really cycled. Save your money. :wink:

Take a look at this thread regarding Cycle which is just like Stress Zyme and appears to be like Nitromax.. I wrote up a little info on how they work in an aquarium environment.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=20242&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Hi there Atodaj,
Well i understand u have ur way of the cycle beleive me I went thru all the Bunk crap on the market sat at high Nitrites and nitrates for Weeks.... I used the Aqua Chargers and the nitro max and all went down in 3 and half days so ur theory isnt valid in my case...I know biospira works i was showed how it worked and also Nitromax too. Guess all i am saying is It worked and no complaints here.. Only issue i am having now is Cloudy water but that im sure is the Bacterial Bloom.

The only product with all the correct nitrifying bacteria is BioSpira. It appears the company somehow managed to get some sort of patent on it (my guess) as no other product out there has all of them. The other cycling products contain a mix of nitrifying bacteria (and none of them have the correct ammonia eating one - thats nitrospira and nitrosospira; only the nitrite eating one - nitrosomonas) and heterotrophic bacteria. My guess is aquafreak, the heterotrophic bacteria had a party in your tank. They ONLY chow on ammonia if there is no organic waste. If there's organic waste, they go to town.

In your case Rancher, my guess is the reason Nitromax worked for you was because you did not have an ammonia problem. The nitrosomonas worked on your nitrite as it should have. You may have had different results if your issue was high ammonia instead of high nitrites.

RancherAZ said:
Hi there Atodaj,
.. Only issue i am having now is Cloudy water but that im sure is the Bacterial Bloom.

Hehe... I don't think you read the thread I linked. :roll:

I'm just trying to help here so give this a read.... believe or don't believe it... it's all good. At the very least I hope it gives you a chuckle. :)

So here is my understanding of how "Cycle" (similar to Nitromax and Stress Zyme) acts within the aquarium based on my research:

Normal Tank Enviroment

A mature tank will have a biological filter made up of ammonia/nitrite eating bacteria known as Nitrospira. This bacteria is found in every mature tank out there and keeping a proper level of these little buggers is crucial to maintaining a healthy tank. They thrive by consuming ammonia/nitrite as it is their primary food source.

Starting New Tank with "Cycle"

"Cycle" is a product that contains Nitrobacter bacteria. These little buggers will eat ammonia/nitrite as well but its not their first choice. So typically what happens is when you pour these guys in your tank they'll end up eating other stuff. Now if you pour enough Nitrobacter bacteria into your aquarium they will eat the ammonia/nitrite as it will pretty much be the only food source left for them. When you take readings it will even look like maybe your tank is cycled. You'll know this is happening by the way when your tank turns milky white... that is a massive bacterial bloom. Bacterial blooms are not very healthy for fish by the way and should be minimized. If you keep adding Cycle during your month long process what will happen is that the Nitrobacter bacteria will keep the ammonia/nitrite levels relatively low but will kinda foul up the water in other ways such as the bacteria blooms.

The Battle for "Middle Tank" Begins

Now, at the same time this is happening the good bacteria Nitrospira will begin to compete with the Nitrobacter bacteria your pouring into the aquarium every week. You have to remember that Nitrospira bacteria will eventually find its way into an aquarium on its own as its always present in nature. Now the war is waged between Nitrospira and Nitrobacter bacteria. The Nitrospira troops are stronger than the Nitrobacter troops but you keep sending in reinforcements for Nitrobacter (pouring in more Cycle) so the battle is long and hard fought. Many bacteria loose their lives in this pointless struggle. Eventually Nitrospira gains a strong foothold and becomes the dominant bacteria in your tank. After you stop adding more Nitrobacter bacteria, those left in the tank will mostly die off to nominal levels.

Now your tank is crystal clear and you can be happy that "Cycle" worked for you right?... hehe.

LOLok this is Nuts Guys the gentleman i got this advise from I know very well and has been an aquaria for over 24 years and owns his own store. Its my Wifes Brother Iv known this guy a long time and he knows his stuf ... I have gotton so much different advice and your all different so its hard to tell whats fact from fiction I wanted to use Biospiral but cant find it here in AZ at any rate Now that I have World War 3 going on in Aqua World What shall i do? How long do u think it will take to clear up...Iv read on aqua Chargers and was recomended by Several people .

Reply would be nice Promptly

Nitromax Fresh

Nitromax Fresh is a highly concentrated blend of nitrifying bacteria. It provides super quick cycling of biological filters and boosts post-water change biological filters. Rapidly reduces ammonia and nitrate levels. The bacteria in Nitromax are viable for 9 full months after opening. Shake well before each use. Use one tsp. per 10 gallons every other day until the ammonia level becomes acceptable. Use 1 tsp. per 10 gallons when doing partial water changes and each time new fish are added to the aquarium. Store in the refrigerator. 14.5 oz. treats 860 gallons.

If you read my Post Im not using "CYCLE" I know what that is and that was recomended to me by Petsmart and my brotherinlaw told me what you did......This product is exactly like Biospira, I just called there tech support (Biospira Marine Labs and they agreed that this product is Idenical to there's... SOOOOO i dont know where you got i was Using Cycle LOL but im on the right track just having a serious Bacterial Bloom is all as far as the experts are telling me.

Also Using this in the Filter

ttp://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4000&D=aqua%20chargers&R=7696&Ntt=aqua%20chargers&Ntk=All&Dx=mode+matchallany&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Np=1&N=0&Nty=1

To clarify a few things RancherAZ:

You miss the most important part of the Nitromax Fresh description. Specifically, it contains: "over 2 billion live nitrosomonas and nitrobacter per ounce!" (taken directly from the Tropical Science Nitromax Fresh page). The most current research on nitrifying bacteria has proven nitrobacter is NOT the correct nitrifying bacteria; nitrospira, nitrosospira and nitrosomonas are. Nitromax only contains one of the three. I'm sure your fish guy is great, but he is not up on the most currect scientific research if he feels Nitromax contains the right stuff. The research can be found here: http://www.marineland.com/science/nspira.asp ; yes, it is from the Marineland folks themselves, but all the research is peer reviewed so they aren't just tooting their own horns. You might want to share that info with your Bro-in-law; he may find it pretty interesting. I was mistaken in thinking Nitromax contains heterotrophics; according to their site it does not.

I don't know who you spoke to, but the folks at Marineland are well aware Nitromax is not the same as BioSpira. The only nitrifying bacteria they have in common is nitrosomonas. There is also a Marine BioSpira made by Marineland, but I'm unaware of what bacteria is used in that one.

If you want to try BioSpira in the future, Bernie, who runs The Fish Store (one of our sponsors) ships everywhere.

Hey Allivymar,

Well i just thouraly went over that site you sent me and i see what your saying..... Ok lets say now i,m at where I am I stopped using the Nitromax. This Tank is Foggy cant even see thru to the other side. Like i said i have 2 AquaClear 500's with Charcol and Aqua Chargers for Media.

What do you suggest I do. My brother in law says it will clear up.. im sure it will.. Do you have any suggestions on this. The tank is now nine weeks Ammonias Spiked weeks ago Nitrites spiked and came down to 0 Nitrates last test barely registered. All the help i can get would be Great.

Thanks
Jeff

Is the fogginess completely white? Or does it have a greenish tinge? White would be a bacterial bloom, green an algae bloom.

Oh, and do me a favor Rancher! Start a new post about this; we sorta hijacked this thread, and this way other folks will see your question.

Back
Top Bottom