Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I honestly couldnt tell you id be speaking beyond my knowledge im sure someone more knowledgeable will reply soon sorry i couldnt help

More water in the system, greater filtration capacity, nitrate reactor if you have pants in the sump. I'd love to have an overflow setup.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had a sump with my salt water setup and there were significant advantages. Not sure the same is true for fresh water, but I have an open mind.

I had a sump with my salt water setup and there were significant advantages. Not sure the same is true for fresh water, but I have an open mind.

I think the majority of freshwater keepers won't bother with a sump. I like the idea but I'm not a DIY person and I like to balance ease with performance. One of the main advantages with a sump is that you can put your heater in it so the tank looks less cluttered since there is no filter also. You can customise them to how you want them.

Much more need in a saltwater system as you know. Refugium section. Protein skimmers etc. better water quality options basically.

I just use a canister filter.

I think the majority of freshwater keepers won't bother with a sump. I like the idea but I'm not a DIY person and I like to balance ease with performance. One of the main advantages with a sump is that you can put your heater in it so the tank looks less cluttered since there is no filter also. You can customise them to how you want them.

Much more need in a saltwater system as you know. Refugium section. Protein skimmers etc. better water quality options basically.

I just use a canister filter.

That not totally true you right that someone with a 10g tank wouldn't bother

It all depends on the size of the tank and the fish you keep

I for one would need 30 x fx5 to run my tank which would take for ever to maintain not to mention I could set my sump up for the price of 2 x fx5

You also get the chance to get all the ugly stuff out of the tAnk like filter pipes and heater

Also if you get ph crashes you can put coral chips or peat in the sump to buff the gh and kh

Sump is the way to go on FW or SW it's not just for SW and never has been

That not totally true you right that someone with a 10g tank wouldn't bother

It all depends on the size of the tank and the fish you keep

I for one would need 30 x fx5 to run my tank which would take for ever to maintain not to mention I could set my sump up for the price of 2 x fx5

You also get the chance to get all the ugly stuff out of the tAnk like filter pipes and heater

Also if you get ph crashes you can put coral chips or peat in the sump to buff the gh and kh

Sump is the way to go on FW or SW it's not just for SW and never has been

Most people that keep freshwater fish won't even know what a sump is.

I agree they would be much better for water quality that's not in dispute.

I just feel that for what it's worth, the majority of freshwater keepers will use a perfectly adequate HOB or canister.

I have a sump, I love it!

Here's my advantages:
* as much customizable media as I want configured however I want
* space for an algae scrubber/refugium
* put my heater in the sump
* Water with no gH/kH out of the tap so I have a big bag of coral in my sump
* Run an extra sponge filter in my sump for when I need a cycled filter for a QT or isolation tank
* Put ferts or meds in sump rather than into tank directly
* If I need to do a very small water change, I can just empty the sump and not disturb the display at all
* I could even QT in my sump if needed because I run a UV sterilizer between the sump and the tank

These are all reasons I love my sump just off the top of my head but I am sure I can think of more! :)

My setup is a 90g display and my sump is 29g

Most people that keep freshwater fish won't even know what a sump is.

I agree they would be much better for water quality that's not in dispute.

I just feel that for what it's worth, the majority of freshwater keepers will use a perfectly adequate HOB or canister.

Small tank keepers may not know what a sump is but most people will a tank above 180 will probably be using one

It's not just small tank fish keepers out there look around on you tube

Sumps are more common with the bigger tank users (like T1 said it's generally used by people 180+ gallons) of course there's exceptions to every rule. I know the manager at my fish store has a 120 lake tanganyika tank set up in the lobby and he uses a sump on it, so just showing they're not only used for "big" tanks. You will, however see more sumps on the saltwater side of the hobby. If I ever get to set up a giant tank and ever get lots of money you can bet I will have a sump set up on it!

Having a sump is beneficial on the freshwater side. It takes a lot more research and work setting one up properly. After the heater, there are not much more to hide. It would be beneficial to grow plants in the sump to export some pollution in-between water changes, and not necessarily decreasing the frequency/amount of water changes. Also its fun setting one up for a tank :)

The negatives: more cost, more research, trial and error (some things you will like, some you won't, all will cost $$$), maintenance, the need to fill up the sump ($$$) with extra media or things that is not really needed

IMO the cons outweigh the pros for new hobbyists. With weekly water changes and not overstocking, there is actually no need for a sump since that is the proper way to care for fish. A sump would be a great project after some time in this hobby and wanting to do something different with a tank (or perhaps for lazy fish keepers trying to delaying water changes or overstocking their tanks, ohh those poor cichlids).

Small tank keepers may not know what a sump is but most people will a tank above 180 will probably be using one

It's not just small tank fish keepers out there look around on you tube

I don't want to get in to an argument over this. The fact is is that there are thousands of people starting freshwater fish tanks every day. I have 4 colleagues at work who have large tanks and not one uses a sump. How many people have tanks above 180? Most people can't fit, afford or maintain anything above 180.

There are benefits to using a sump. I'd like to use one myself. Ive give some of their benefits. I am pro sump.

The question was how common are they in fresh water. I just believe there are more people who don't use them that do.

I believe they have a place in fw, specialized media seems to be the growing trend these days.. With a sump the possibilities are limitless, also the buffering capabilities are huge. You can only stuff so much if any one thing in a hob or canister. I believe the main limiting factor in the widespread use if sumps is the demand for DIY labor.. If you could go to petsmart and buy a sump ready setup than it'd be a different story..

I believe they have a place in fw, specialized media seems to be the growing trend these days.. With a sump the possibilities are limitless, also the buffering capabilities are huge. You can only stuff so much if any one thing in a hob or canister. I believe the main limiting factor in the widespread use if sumps is the demand for DIY labor.. If you could go to petsmart and buy a sump ready setup than it'd be a different story..

Plus 1 - the thought of setting one up doesn't motivate me unless I had more room to make sure the electrics are well away. Otherwise for cost and versatility they look great and I'm really slack in not looking at them more.

I have wondered if they smell much or anything?

The cost of a sump is cheap

You can just buy a used tank and convert it to a sump you don't need to buy the $2000 of the shelf systems

You say not many people have tanks above 180 go to a forum called monster fish keepers that forum probably have as many members as about 30 other forums combined
Its a much bigger market than you think

Hmmm, that's got me thinking :)

If a tank isn't plumbed for it could you:

1) have a tank or such for your filter.

2) have a small pump to pump from the sump to the tank.

3) have a inlet pipe from the tank to the sump. With I guess a float valve to match inflow to the outflow.

Is it that simple ?

You can drill a overflow in the main tank or buy overflow boxes

It works like a canister filter just bigger and not pressurised

To return water back to the main tank you can use soft or hard pipe

It is simple nothing you can't find out with 1 hour research

Check out the. "75 gallon stand" thread, we've moved on from the stand to the sump, it's actually quite simple really, just stick it to the details and it's totally do able for any person with access to google and Home Depot (or alike)

Back
Top Bottom