Tank Filter Size - To Upgrade, Or Not To Upgrade!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mylifeasben

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys!

I have recently acquired a 3 foot tanks (specs: 92 cm x 47 cm x 36 cm) which calculates back to 155 litres or 40 gallons.

I've been looking into the filter in there, and discovered it's rated for a max of 100 litre (27 gallon) tank. (Aqua Pro 103F).

I can get a 180 litre an hour (48 gallons) filter for $65 AUD (it's literally just the model up) but it's rated at twice the wattage so it's going to increase the tanks power consumption.

My question is, how seriously do I need to upgrade this filter? Can I keep it in there, or should I get a upgraded one as a priority?

Cheers!

BenImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402850243.177451.jpg

If you live in the US you should order off of DR.foster and smith. It's a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

Oh, any where online will probably be better than in a store. Not sure if in aus if you have eBay, or craigslist? I would upgrade the filters. I have two filter running on my 55g ones a canister that's rated for 75g and another just a random 50g rated filter I had sitting around.

I was thinking I might need to upgrade.
There goes the power bill..

We have eBay but it's only about $10 cheaper.

Is there any other kinds of filter that would work for the tank that size, do a good job, and not cost too much?

Canisters are great but expensive. HOBs (hang on back) filter are a lot cheaper. A lot of people like aqua clear an AC70 would be good for that tank. Marineland penguin filter is also a good filter. The media for this filter is cheap. Tetra whisper is also a good cheap filter. I've been looking at an aqueon 55/75. This filter is about $30 usd.

The HOB, usually gives a lot of flow per dollar spent and the ease of filter cleaning/replacement, with the amount of available bio media being it`s shortcoming.
The canister costs more per gph, does an adequate job of debris removal, but holds allot of bio media.

Would you think that upgrading needs to be a priority? I have a dozen Albino Corydoras in the tank at the moment (they came with it), but I'm looking at getting a few more fish soon. So, do I get the new filter now, or will it be okay for a few more months (years)?

It will be fine for a while but your tank will not be looking it's best. You will need to do more WCs more often and probably at a greater volume.

Back
Top Bottom