Tank finaly cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwohlge1

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is finally cycled.

I was planning on doing 30% pwc's weekly. I have heard I need to keep nitrates below 40ppm. What else do I need to do to keep my fish healthy?

Dwohlge1 said:
My tank is finally cycled.

I was planning on doing 30% pwc's weekly. I have heard I need to keep nitrates below 40ppm. What else do I need to do to keep my fish healthy?

Obviously besides 0ppm of ammonia and 0ppm of nitrites.....

A constant pH and a constant water temperature if possible. Proper gravel vacuum and no overfeeding.... Fish should be fine with one time per day feeding, and some people suggest even every other day.

Good luck!

I don't understand the importance of PH or how to maintain?

Your pH should maintain itself unless you're doing something wrong. I wouldn't worry about it too much if your other levels are fine and your fish seem healthy. Definitely don't dose for it, unless absolutely necessary.

Dwohlge1 said:
I don't understand the importance of PH or how to maintain?

Maintaining a stable pH is important for the well being of the fish. Most fish will adapt good to any reasonable pH (from 6.5 to 7.8 ) What fish don't like, or they don't adapt well, is to fluctuations in the pH.

I do agree with the previous post, about not to be to much worry about it. But in my opinion, you should know what is the pH of your tank. It is not recommended to add chemicals to try to change the pH of your tank, you will find in the stores some products that are design to move up or down the pH. But as was mentioned above, don't mess with that, your fish will do fine to a reasonable pH, rather than adapt to fluctuations.

In conclusion : at least measure your pH and monitor it after your first water changes, to confirm that does not fluctuate.

Back
Top Bottom