tank perimeter check help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
So here are my test results.

Ph. 7.4
Ammonia. 1ppm
Nitrite. 0ppm
Nitrate. 2.5ppm

Nitrate is between yellow and the next one ( 0ppm-5ppm )

Are they good or bad? I'm using prime

That's right after a water change though. I used the prime also and my tap water reads ammonia when I use the prime

Have you ever tested your tap water to see if it has ammo in it? SInce its not cycled, you will probably have to do more pwc to keep that ammo down as your bb develop enough to be able to handle it. But, I suggest you test your tap water so you know just what you are dealing with. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Have you ever tested your tap water to see if it has ammo in it? SInce its not cycled, you will probably have to do more pwc to keep that ammo down as your bb develop enough to be able to handle it. But, I suggest you test your tap water so you know just what you are dealing with. :)

Already did. It's all good except, ammo. Being .50ppm

Ouch. In that case, you will have to just power through the cycle and keep using your prime. I am guessing once your BB colony really grows in there and gets established, it will be fine. :) I know people with as much as 1ppm ammo in their tap water still keep fish just fine because the Prime neuitralizes it in the short-term and their BB colony eats it up before it can stress the fish out. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Ouch. In that case, you will have to just power through the cycle and keep using your prime. I am guessing once your BB colony really grows in there and gets established, it will be fine. :) I know people with as much as 1ppm ammo in their tap water still keep fish just fine because the Prime neuitralizes it in the short-term and their BB colony eats it up before it can stress the fish out. :)

So can I just dose a small amount of prime once every 2 days in order to keep it neutralized unroll the bb colonizes because a its a 110g tank with a 30g sump and it cycles the tank 10th times an hour

So can I just dose a small amount of prime once every 2 days in order to keep it neutralized unroll the bb colonizes because a its a 110g tank with a 30g sump and it cycles the tank 10th times an hour

What kind of fish do you have?

In an uncycled tank the ammonia is going to rise since there isn't enough established bacteria yet to neutralize ammonia. You'll have to do water changes eventually once the ammonia levels get higher than what your tap water has. Right now with ammonia at 1 doing a 50% water change will just add back the .5 of ammonia anyway so you'll have to just add Prime and hope that your fish aren't affected by the toxins. But once ammonia levels rise above 1 (and they will) you'll have to do water changes. Nitrites are going to spike too in a couple of weeks approximately and you'll have to do water changes to keep those levels as close to 0 as possible as nitrite is as toxic as ammonia.

Water changes are your best option here as has been suggested. Prime may detox ammonia but only to levels @2ppm & this is only for around a 24hr period of time. It detoxes it to ammonium-which is less toxic but still unhealthy for you fish. The level of filtration doesnt matter if your tank isnt properly cycled & stocked. Please be viligant on your daily water tests & water changes until your tank is properly cycled to keep your fish healthy. Please dont hesitate to ask if you have questions!

librarygirl said:
What kind of fish do you have?

In an uncycled tank the ammonia is going to rise since there isn't enough established bacteria yet to neutralize ammonia. You'll have to do water changes eventually once the ammonia levels get higher than what your tap water has. Right now with ammonia at 1 doing a 50% water change will just add back the .5 of ammonia anyway so you'll have to just add Prime and hope that your fish aren't affected by the toxins. But once ammonia levels rise above 1 (and they will) you'll have to do water changes. Nitrites are going to spike too in a couple of weeks approximately and you'll have to do water changes to keep those levels as close to 0 as possible as nitrite is as toxic as ammonia.

I actually have a bunch of fish. I have 18 mollys, 3 platys, 2 gouramis, 5 emerald cities, 2 neons, and a hi-fin spotted pleco. I had no choice but to do a fish in cycle and I am doing very frequent water changes about every 2 to 3 days. So should I add a double dose of prime or get an ammonia neutralizer?

Prime or an ammonia neutralizer essentially do the same thing- they convert up to 2ppm ammonia to ammonium for a period of @24hrs. You will still need a water conditioner with alot of ammonia neutralizers so prime is your best bet. Water changes with Prime daily until your tank is cycled are your best option.

No, just dose the Prime like normal. Prime is the only ammo neutralizer that I personally know of that just temporarily neautralizes the ammo in a way that still allows it to be used by the BB. Many of the other products that are sold to neautralize ammo will cause major ammo spikes once they wear off. So, I suggest just stocking with the Prime. There is no need to double dose IMO.
Have you checked the pH of the water? I strongly suggest you read this guide by jetajockey: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html
It explains how the presence of an ammo reading is not the end of the world and how there are other factors at play. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Lol, I guess its late. When I said pH, I shoudl have said temperature. Whew.
Anyway, did you read the guide?

Yes I did and that's a great chart. My temp stays average about 78 and my Ph is 7.4 and ammo is 1ppm so the chart was saying I'm in the green. I'm gonna check Ph and ammo tomorrow and if there is a change then I'm gonna run the full test and maybe a water change

Sweet. :) Yeah, that chart is pretty great and very helpful. If you are in the green on the chart, I wouldn't worry too much about the ammo reading. As aquarists, we tend to use .25ppm as thresh-hold, but it is more complex than that. :)

Back
Top Bottom