Tanks Mates for my shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What would be my best option for my shrimps?

• Total voters
thanks! i really thought white clouds look awesome! but I didn't know they could be with shrimps. hopefully I can find a place to buy some! thanks!

Paulcm10 said:
thanks! i really thought white clouds look awesome! but I didn't know they could be with shrimps. hopefully I can find a place to buy some! thanks!

Petsmart should have some! And if they don't, they will most likely get some in the next time the fish shipment arrives. Good luck!

would it help if i have a net breeder for my shrimps?

That would be a very sad life for shrimp to be kept in a net. They really deserve the freedom to scamper all over the tank. Plus, it adds to your enjoyment level if they're free.

Not to mention that they can climb out of net breeders pretty easily as well.

I've successfully kept otos and bn plecos with my breeding shrimp colony with no impact to the offspring, but that's about it.

well i was thinking i could keep just the baby shrimps in there for the time being while they grow haha.
ah I do plan on getting an otto sometime after i get everything going

I agree about the letting the tank settle before adding ottos. I'm my experience they haven't been the hardiest of fish, which to me means they need a mature tank to survive. I have heard other people claim different about the hardiness of them though.

You can't get "an" oto...... they need to be kept in groups. And yes, they should have established tanks, 6 months or older.

oh how big would the groups be? and as far as tank mates for my tank I'm stuck between embers, neons, CPDs, chili rasbora, and white clouds... haha idk i can't decide

Paulcm10 said:
oh how big would the groups be? and as far as tank mates for my tank I'm stuck between embers, neons, CPDs, chili rasbora, and white clouds... haha idk i can't decide

I have seen that it a group size of 6 works, but when I had a group of 3 they took no notice of each other. So I am not sure what the proper size is. And I say you go with some neons or white clouds. You will want a differing color from you cherries and the blue from the neons could look cool. Also, you can get a pretty large group of neons which is always stunning!

aren't white clouds, minnows?
thats what i get every time i look it up on google.
and neons as far as i know would be good but someone told me on this post that they love to hunt baby shrimps. I would like to keep that to a minimum cause i want some baby shrimps in my tank haha.

Paulcm10 said:
aren't white clouds, minnows?
thats what i get every time i look it up on google.
and neons as far as i know would be good but someone told me on this post that they love to hunt baby shrimps. I would like to keep that to a minimum cause i want some baby shrimps in my tank haha.

Yeah, white clouds full name is white cloud mountain minnows from where they are found. And with a 20 high, driftwood, and plants, there should be enough room for the baby shrimp to hide. And it's just a given, "if the shrimp can fit in a fishes mouth, it will more than likely end up in there." but hiding places can minimize losses. Lastly, stress will keep shrimp from breeding, which fish can bring.

Yeah, white clouds full name is white cloud mountain minnows from where they are found. And with a 20 high, driftwood, and plants, there should be enough room for the baby shrimp to hide. And it's just a given, "if the shrimp can fit in a fishes mouth, it will more than likely end up in there." but hiding places can minimize losses. Lastly, stress will keep shrimp from breeding, which fish can bring.

so how many white clouds should i get? or whatever fish ill get.
and should i get the fish first or shrimp first?

Paulcm10 said:
so how many white clouds should i get? or whatever fish ill get.
and should i get the fish first or shrimp first?

Shrimp first for sure. Let them settle in for awhile so that they don't come into a stressful situation. What tank size do you have again? 20 high?

I would get at least 6 personally. See how they do, and how your shrimp do then maybe add more from there on.

Cichlid Kid said:
+1 on the Pygmy cories and cpd's. 2 excellent choices IMO :)

Agreed that they are great fish, but I don't think Pygmy corys are good for a shrimp tank. Unless, maybe, you get true corydoras pygmaeus, whom tend to swim in the middle strata. And I said this earlier (although the situation may have changed since my last venture into research) I tend to discourage people from keeping CPDs unless they are trying to breed them to help out the population. Beautiful fish though they are.

Cpd are being bred by farms and hobbyists now, I think the wild stock impact has gone down in recent years. I've also read that the fragility of the wild stock was miscalculated and they've found them in a much larger range than once thought. As to how true it is, no clue.

Back
Top Bottom