Tanks Mates for my shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What would be my best option for my shrimps?

• Total voters

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I plan on getting red cherry shrimps and a bamboo shrimp for my new 20g high tank.

I don't know what fish is best tank mates for them. I plan on breeding my shrimps as well. I will be putting a lot of hiding places and moss in my tank.

after doing a lot of research i was told that neon tetras are the best but recently i was told that celestial pearl danios would be a lot better than neon tetras for my dwarf shrimps.

what's your advice?

If you really want to breed shrimp, its much better to not have any fish in the tank. I've heard that neon's love hunting down baby shrimp. CPD's are a pretty good choice IMO. Once they get over their "OMG I'm scared of everything" phase theyre pretty awesome :)

"OMG im scared of everything" phase? so that means most likely when i get them they'll be hiding half the time?

also how do CPD's do with baby shrimps?
I also thought about putting my baby shrimps if i could in a breeder net. I wonder if that would work out?

see i thought about doing just shrimp tank but its kinda plain without fish.
and Lynda have u had experience with ember tetras with shrimps?

I have embers in my tank right now with larger shrimp, amanos, bamboo and ghosts. But I can easily see the embers even with RCS, as the embers are so very tiny themselves, there's no way they could cause an issue.

I have not seen any ember tetras in petco or petsmart. hopefully i can find some

Endlers Livebearers are also supposed to be a good match. I can't personally say that they won't eat a tiny baby shrimp swimming through the water, haven't had any shrimp successfully breed in the tank with my endlers.

You would not be able to find Endlers at a petco or petsmart. Maybe at a LFS, or online

Good suggestions.... embers, pygmy cories, endlers, CPDs, boraras, least killies.... there are lots of nano fish that will pretty much leave even baby shrimp alone. The bigger the mouths, the less shrimp. ;)

I have chili Rasboras and I've found that they leave even baby shimp alone. I've seen multiple newborn shrimp swim right past my chili's and they couldn't care less. They are also very curious animals. Not to mention they rush to the front of the tank whenevr they see me:) oh, and they also LOVE to play in the filter outlet:) these are by far my favourite nano fish. Chili Rasboras are the only fish (with the exception of oto's) I will ever Stock my shrimp tanks with:)

I have chili Rasboras and I've found that they leave even baby shimp alone. I've seen multiple newborn shrimp swim right past my chili's and they couldn't care less. They are also very curious animals. Not to mention they rush to the front of the tank whenevr they see me:) oh, and they also LOVE to play in the filter outlet:) these are by far my favourite nano fish. Chili Rasboras are the only fish (with the exception of oto's) I will ever Stock my shrimp tanks with:)

can i find chili rasboras at petco or petsmart?

Paulcm10 said:
Hi, I plan on getting red cherry shrimps and a bamboo shrimp for my new 20g high tank.

I don't know what fish is best tank mates for them. I plan on breeding my shrimps as well. I will be putting a lot of hiding places and moss in my tank.

after doing a lot of research i was told that neon tetras are the best but recently i was told that celestial pearl danios would be a lot better than neon tetras for my dwarf shrimps.

what's your advice?

I generally tend to urge people away from CPDs unless you're trying to breed them. Although I may be misinformed, I am under the belief that they are growing scarcer in the wild. That being said, small mouthed fish are better for the cause. I haven't kept fish with nano shrimp, but I've read that generally shrimp populations don't grow well when fish are around.

Paulcm10 said:
"OMG im scared of everything" phase? so that means most likely when i get them they'll be hiding half the time?

also how do CPD's do with baby shrimps?
I also thought about putting my baby shrimps if i could in a breeder net. I wonder if that would work out?

CPDs tend to be very very shy when they are introduced. I've only been able to coax them out of hiding when I have a similar small breed that is less nervous.

I generally tend to urge people away from CPDs unless you're trying to breed them. Although I may be misinformed, I am under the belief that they are growing scarcer in the wild. That being said, small mouthed fish are better for the cause. I haven't kept fish with nano shrimp, but I've read that generally shrimp populations don't grow well when fish are around.

Yah its just I can't see having a 20g high with just shrimp in it.. It's too plain to me.

Paulcm10 said:
Yah its just I can't see having a 20g high with just shrimp in it.. It's too plain to me.

I completely agree. My shrimp only tanks have been much smaller. I'm talking like 1 gallon bowls. Let me do some more research and hopefully we can find a happy medium!

CPDs tend to be very very shy when they are introduced. I've only been able to coax them out of hiding when I have a similar small breed that is less nervous.

yah I can't find any CPD's anyways.. so i might go for a chili rasboras

Down at the bottom of that website, there is a link to a few fish that will work with your shrimp. But one can generally assume that some fish not on that list can work.

Back
Top Bottom