Tap Water Parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheIrishJedi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I decided to test my tap water so as to get a control set of parameters:

pH: 8
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0-5 (dark yellow)

I used the API Master Test kit.

I'm concerned about the amount of ammonia in my tap water. What do you think?

Are you sure the reading was 1? It could be chlormaines in the tap. Fill a cup of water and treat with dechlor that removes chloramines. Stir, wait a while then re-test. See if the ammonia level is reduced

Are you sure the reading was 1? It could be chlormaines in the tap. Fill a cup of water and treat with dechlor that removes chloramines. Stir, wait a while then re-test. See if the ammonia level is reduced

Frak.

And yea, it was a bright green. At least a 1.

If you are using the API FW kit, you will read both bound & free ammonia, so the dechlor should make no difference.

Water treated with chloramines will register ammonia. <Chloramines are used as disinfectant, and is basically one ammonia bound to one chlorine.> It is also possible that you have agricultural runoff in the water & actually have ammonia in the water. <Ammonia nitrate is often used in land fertilizers, and overused, end up in the water supply.>

1 of ammonia is not too bad for a cycled tank. Most dechlor will break the chloramine bond & bind the ammonia produced, rendering it non-toxic. In a cycled tank that bound ammonia should be removed by the bio-filter in a few hours.

You might want to limit your pwc to less than 50% to limit the ammonia load, use a good dechlor like Prime, and monitor your tank (for the first while) to make sure the ammonia is being handled by the bio-filter after a pwc.

If you are using the API FW kit, you will read both bound & free ammonia, so the dechlor should make no difference.

Water treated with chloramines will register ammonia. <Chloramines are used as disinfectant, and is basically one ammonia bound to one chlorine.> It is also possible that you have agricultural runoff in the water & actually have ammonia in the water. <Ammonia nitrate is often used in land fertilizers, and overused, end up in the water supply.>

1 of ammonia is not too bad for a cycled tank. Most dechlor will break the chloramine bond & bind the ammonia produced, rendering it non-toxic. In a cycled tank that bound ammonia should be removed by the bio-filter in a few hours.

You might want to limit your pwc to less than 50% to limit the ammonia load, use a good dechlor like Prime, and monitor your tank (for the first while) to make sure the ammonia is being handled by the bio-filter after a pwc.

I'm currently using Tetra Aquasafe. That a good brand?

i have well water and live next to a farm and my water has 40-80 ppm.

I bet he means nitrate... I would think you'd start tasting ammonia at that concentration.

Back
Top Bottom