techno fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my LFS just lost themselves a customer and probably more after i tell my friends who go this shop. I went there today looking for some more female swordtails, and instead of finding them I walked out the door after seeing ``painted`` fish. they had about a dozen of these fish there called them Techno Glassfish. I`ve read about these fish before and I know the procedure is very cruel and painful for the fish. I told the girl that worked there and she just kind of brush it off and said òh really, thats interesting, like she didnt care.
you would think working in a pet store you`d want the best for animals no matter what kind.

:( poor fishies. hopefully no one will buy them. then your LFS may think twice about carrying them. glofish are one thing... but actually injecting fish with dye? icky

you would think working in a pet store you`d want the best for animals no matter what kind.
most are there to make a living. they get what they think will sell. did you talk to a manger or the owner and let you know what you thought about it? many workers just like petco petsmart are just there for a job. you cant expect every single person to be a hobbyist.

yes unfortunately most people that work at those places just do what they are told. :( There is an LFS around here that I like to boycott because they are rude like that as well. But as gamer said, they are just there to make a living :/

I'm on your side :)

i don't understand why people who don't give a crap about fish work at fish stores. are managers none the less. silliness

Time to bury them with the worst possible rating on yelp, and a full description of the lack of compassion they show for the very animals that bring their income.

Also spread the word amongst hobbiest friends, and to a local aquarium club if you have one.

Well, trying to be Devils Advocate here. Put yourself in that stores shoes. You know that the brightest, most colorful fish are what sell. So you bring in painted glassfish. It's pretty hard for a LFS to make a living, so they do what they can to make a buck.
Now, having said that, I don't particularly agree, and I think there are other ways to increase margins (I can think of at least a couple people on these very forums who are quite inventive about the ways they make money). Unfortunately, the quickest way to the goal is often seen as the best way. Which isn't necessarily always the case.

i told her she can take me off their mailing list and take my "best friends card" (discount card) off file unless she would agree to not sell them. and she said she'd be glad to take me off file because she doesnt like people telling her how to run a company. so i told her id never come back and she would lose are large number of customers, seeing as how there are multiple chains of the store in the city i live in, you'd think you would want to keep a good name for the company

and there is an aquarium club in my city, but i'm never able to attend the meetings because i work nights and weekends

Send an e-mail to the head of the club, or whatever is listed on the club website. I'm sorry, it sounds like it was an intense meeting with the manager.

i will look for that email later tonite once the kids go to bed and i can think about what i want to write. but yes it was intense...and she made it perfectly clear to me that she didnt care and that i cant stop everyone of her customers from going to store...i'll prove her wrong...i'll make sure that evryone i know will never buy another fish from that store again.

If it is a chain store you could even go higher up. Contact the company and you can give them her name. It is not very professional on her part to be so rude. She could have at least been polite about it. Better yet, see if you can get an email response from, something solid. That way it will be proof instead of your word against hers.

logansmomma1228 said:
She could have at least been polite about it
Yes! That I totally agree with. No matter what the stores stance is on what they do and don't sell. If you want to be a reatil manager, learn how to deal with people politely and with dignity, whether you agree with them or not!

You can also post fliers on community billboards (like at Starbucks) etc. If they sell for other pets too, this will reach a wider audience than the fish clubs, and really hit 'em where it hurts.

i actually spoke with the manager at an other one of these store "Best West Pets" if you've heard of them I'm not sure. And he agreed with me because he does the ordering for all the stores in the city. He didnt realize that the glass fish he had ordered were the painted ones. He said he would also speak with the manager from the store and tell her not to sell them. So I think I've made my point seeing as how I've been shopping at this store for cat and dog food for years before I got into the fish hobby. He said he'd rather loose a couple bucks worth of fish, than a bunch of customers. So I respect that, I just won't go back to the one store I found these techno fish at.

Back
Top Bottom