tempature?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello I am a salt water guy but my dad is freshwater what should his temp be he has it at 78 I thought it was to high let me know please thanks

Depends on the fish.

My guys (angels, loaches, plec, rams, neons, otos and gouramis) all stay in temps between 80F-85f.

I keep most of my FW at around 78

I spose that's a little on the warmer side but the fish seem to enjoy it.

:)

hmm 80-85 that is nice and cozy....... ya know what though, if you think of where they came from, the temps in the waters probably hit 90F + sometimes.

I always like warmer rather than cooler, if it's comfortable to dip your hand in then the fish probably like it too eh. :D

Big range depending on the fish (discus like temps in the 80s)... But it's true that most fish (e.g. neon tetras) can survive in water that's much warmer than recommended. They're supposed to be in 72-75 degree water according to some sources, but I know a few ppl who keep their tanks in the 80s and have no problems.

I'd tend to say that a little on the warm side is better than a little on the cool side (from personal experience and word of mouth). The 72-78 range, as LondonGman said, is the standard range for most tropical FWs.

P.S. check it out on a species by species basis--you shouldn't really combine warmer and colder water FW fish. Check out profiles at fishbase.org and liveaquaria.com.

78 is all good. That's where mine has been consistently now for five weeks and my Danios and Tetras seem like super happy fish to me. I think between 76 and 78 degrees F is a good, stable range for most Tropical Freshwater fish. Good luck!

70-72 for my white cloud and cory tank. 76 for my platies and betta

I have neon , blac neon, ram, oto, threadfin, blood fin, blac phantom and they all seems happy in 78-82F.

Back
Top Bottom