Terrestrial Bichir Tank!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i was doing some research on bichirs, which I've already done in case i decide to get one, out of total boredom. I saw this amazing article; there was a study a while ago that proved Bichirs could live on land! As some of you might know, they have lungs, and can breathe normal air like us. They are also not very prone to drying out, and can walk using pectoral(?) fins. So they are like a cross between a lizard and a fish. This will hopefully be my next project, trying to raise a Senegal to about 10 inches on land, and another in a tank, while comparing growth rates, mobility on land and water, and hunting skills. I want to see if they could learn to be adept enough to catch crickets!! If not i will try mealworms, if that doesn't work i will try fish, or bloodworms. Hopefully i can get a tiny one and set it up in a 40 gal with some Anubias (which is a bog plant, technically.) they will also have a very shallow water area to soak. They will have a reptile heat pad, as well as heavy misting on the tank. Hopefully i can get it started soon... Im so happy i found that article i can try to find it again to bookmark if someone wants it, hopefully i can find it...

Just wanted to share this and see what you guys think! Any ideas?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom