?? The 29g is finally up! ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
After collecting items over the last few months, waiting to move in my new place, living in a hotel while keeping my over crowded 15g secretly, and school starting, I managed to get the 29 up and rolling. :)

I put stock in it today!

Here's what is in it so far....

1 opaline gourami
1 blue gourami (I know some say not too, but in my experience they are hit and miss, like betas in comm. tanks... But I'm watching them closely)

2 ghost catfish ( will eventually have 6, but 2 was all they had)

3 full sized tiger barbs (that I previously had in my 15g)
3 baby tiger barbs, (no local fish store had any adults, and I wanted to start to get a full school. So I'm keeping an eye on that too, to make sure they all play nice.)

1 African spotted leaf fish

2 Juli catfish (will get more when they get their shipment in)

1 rubber lip pleco

Without further ado....

Attachments

• image-3098716467.jpg
    image-3098716467.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 102
  • image-410686877.jpg
    image-410686877.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image-355763428.jpg
    image-355763428.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 88
  • image-311964118.jpg
    image-311964118.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 93
Looks great Is that play sand?

Yup...

The substrate was the biggest set back for me....

At first I bought play sand from Lowes.... Big mistake it was, it was different grit, stinky, nasty, rough, unevenly colored...

I stupidly used that anyways, then I used half of the caribsea dirt, and spilt it half and half....

Then I decided I hated the play sand and so I bought a tiny bag of Caribsea white sand, tried to cover the ugly sand by just dumping and spreading it on top, this was all done without water in the tank, so for a while it looked good, until I had to fill the tank...

I filled the tank slowly, but even then it all mixed and then it looked horrible.

Then I added my driftwood that I had boiled, but it released tannins.

My tanks water was as black as the ace of spades. It was so disheartening, and I thought about just selling it and sticking to the 15g.

On top of all that I had to just let it sit that way for a week, cuz I had school 9-3 and work 4-10. So I had no time to fix the huge mess I made.... It was such an eye sore...

Today was my first day off, I completely drained the tank, pitched the sand/playsand/dirt mess....

I went to the pet store in search of real aquarium sand, but couldn't find any, so I reluctantly went to menards to get sand. I was so worried, but their sand looked and smelled way better, so I got it, rinsed it and that's what is in my tank now....

Word to the wise, don't try to mix dirt and sand, ESP play sand. And if it doesn't look like good quality sand when your cleaning it, don't continue to use it.... :)

If you're still having issues with tannins try adding some purigen into your filter. It worked wonders for me.

But in any case the tank looks great! :) it looks to be worth the trouble

Yup...

The substrate was the biggest set back for me....

At first I bought play sand from Lowes.... Big mistake it was, it was different grit, stinky, nasty, rough, unevenly colored...

I stupidly used that anyways, then I used half of the caribsea dirt, and spilt it half and half....

Then I decided I hated the play sand and so I bought a tiny bag of Caribsea white sand, tried to cover the ugly sand by just dumping and spreading it on top, this was all done without water in the tank, so for a while it looked good, until I had to fill the tank...

I filled the tank slowly, but even then it all mixed and then it looked horrible.

Then I added my driftwood that I had boiled, but it released tannins.

My tanks water was as black as the ace of spades. It was so disheartening, and I thought about just selling it and sticking to the 15g.

On top of all that I had to just let it sit that way for a week, cuz I had school 9-3 and work 4-10. So I had no time to fix the huge mess I made.... It was such an eye sore...

Today was my first day off, I completely drained the tank, pitched the sand/playsand/dirt mess....

I went to the pet store in search of real aquarium sand, but couldn't find any, so I reluctantly went to menards to get sand. I was so worried, but their sand looked and smelled way better, so I got it, rinsed it and that's what is in my tank now....

Word to the wise, don't try to mix dirt and sand, ESP play sand. And if it doesn't look like good quality sand when your cleaning it, don't continue to use it.... :)

Thanks for the info. My 15 and 75 have the expensive black moon sand but I'm going with play sand in my 55 soon. Ill check menards.

Looks great! I love your driftwood,dont give up on it. It will probably continue to release tannins for some time, but it does stop eventually. I agree, if you have the chance, order some purigen. I buy mine on Amazon, and that stuff is amazing. It really will help clear the water of tannins.
Keep an eye on that leaf fish too......I have never had one, but hear they can become quite agressive as they mature. You will love the glass cats, I have 6 in my big tank, and they are such awesome little guys. :)

Looks great! I love your driftwood,dont give up on it. It will probably continue to release tannins for some time, but it does stop eventually. I agree, if you have the chance, order some purigen. I buy mine on Amazon, and that stuff is amazing. It really will help clear the water of tannins.
Keep an eye on that leaf fish too......I have never had one, but hear they can become quite agressive as they mature. You will love the glass cats, I have 6 in my big tank, and they are such awesome little guys. :)

yeah this tank will be my semi-aggressive. Do you think the glass cats will be able to hold their own against tiger barbs and the African leaf fish? I really love the ghost cats, they are my fav. :) gouramis take second though lol.

very nice tank indeed

The sand is a nice touch ... something different ..... I really like the way it goes with the driftwood. By the way, where did you get the driftwood. By chance manzanita?

EDIT: Question answered in your July 10 post:

Thanks! The locally owned per store I live by always has sweet wood, and cheep, I scored this piece for $9.99! ;) he has some pretty sweet looking fish too. I agree with the tank being easier to move empty. (8x29) + (substrate)= heavy as heck.

Also I'm from the lake of the ozarks, there's tons of driftwood there, is it safe to use that if cleaned right: baking, or bleach water, or boiling??? Just curious?

GEEZ - That would be at least $60 at Petland

The sand is a nice touch ... something different ..... I really like the way it goes with the driftwood. By the way, where did you get the driftwood. By chance manzanita?

EDIT: Question answered in your July 10 post:

Thanks! The locally owned per store I live by always has sweet wood, and cheep, I scored this piece for $9.99! ;) he has some pretty sweet looking fish too. I agree with the tank being easier to move empty. (8x29) + (substrate)= heavy as heck.

Also I'm from the lake of the ozarks, there's tons of driftwood there, is it safe to use that if cleaned right: baking, or bleach water, or boiling??? Just curious?

GEEZ - That would be at least $60 at Petland

Thanks. :) Dang! That's crazy. I would try the Internet.

Thanks. :) Dang! That's crazy. I would try the Internet.

It is. It has gotten worse when trying to be nice and patronizing local dealers. They ALL overcharge by at least a 400% markup.

I could do Internet by guesswork and throw out 50% as trash and still come out ahead.

Someone ........ please tell me why the rip-off's try and charge 4x times what a simple piece of driftwood is worth.

If I was Donald Trump, I would not pay $100 for a $5 piece of driftwood.

It is. It has gotten worse when trying to be nice and patronizing local dealers. They ALL overcharge by at least a 400% markup.

I could do Internet by guesswork and throw out 50% as trash and still come out ahead.

Someone ........ please tell me why the rip-off's try and charge 4x times what a simple piece of driftwood is worth.

Where do you live?

Try living in Hawaii...

But yeah there are a ton of great vendors online for driftwood. Sadly though great looking driftwood is generally going to be pricey unless harvested locally.

How do you get the bubble wall like that!? I keep trying and failing miserably. Tried with a hard plastic tube and made about 6 holes along it, but the first one or two are the only ones that actually end up bubbling :(

From what I've seen the mopani wood is by far the most expensive. It's an absolutely amazing aquarium driftwood that is impossible to just go out and find so they can get away with upcharging a bunch.

You are also paying for security because you have no idea exactly what type of wood you are going out and picking up which could cause problems. But it's still way too much money.

Back
Top Bottom