The rare and elusive oto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Look, I know otos are not supposed to be hard to find, but I can't get one anywhere. I tried two PetCos, a PetSmart, and my LFS, all without luck. Not that I am going to order a $2 fish online, but just for kicks I checked liveaquaria.com and even they are out of them. What gives?

I need 9 or them, do you think its worth it to try a bidding site? Anyone have a lead for me?

None of them even stock them. I've tried asking them to order fish before, they always write down the info but nothing ever happens.

Tony- I think we shop at the same fish store. The write it all down, but never do anything. I've been trying to find some as well, and can't. Have you tried calling fish stores that are a bit further away and seeing if they have them or are expecting a shipment?

No, not yet, but I always thought otos were common but I can't find them anywhere! Not even Aquabid has a single listing.

one ended around last week. it was an otto/plant package.. i was thinking about it but shipping was 2 darn high.. at the petco here they sometimes go on sale for 99 cents. usually around 1.50ish

LOL@Tony.. rare and elusive otto!! :mrgreen: I wonder if anyone here has had there's spawn.. and have some to spare? how many otto owners are members of this site? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

we have some, but they haven't spawned. Don't know sex of them though. We had to special order ours from a lfs here in florida. If yall pay shipping and handling and pay for the fish we can send yall some. lol!!! How many will make it, we don't know. Well wish yall best of luck!
Zilla's wifie :rocol:

Since you like rare fish and are searching online, O. cocama and flexilis look awesome. If you end up finding a US source for them that isnt AquaBid, please post.

I have been experiencing the same problem. When I first joined this site otos were everywhere in my LFS and now NOTHING. NADA. I can't find one to save my life. Please let us know if you discover why they have been so hard to find lately.

well...im all the way up here in canada...and ive tried all weekend to find those precious otos....with no luck....at big als they told me they are expecting a shipment but the guy wasnt sure if otos were coming... :?

I know my local Petsmart and Petco have Otto's but they only get them in every once and a while, i got mine when he was soooooooo tiny but now he's a bit guy....or she...lol

well...yesterday i went to big als to see if the otos had arrived....what a terrible picture i saw...first of all...they are quarrantined...and in the tank half the otos were dead and the remaining survivors were swimming really weird...he said they will be ready for sale in 2 or 3 days...now that i saw how bad they are doing im not sure i want to buy them from big als....i guess they are THAT sensitive.... :(

Otos are very sensitive fish (don't hurt one's feelings :lol:). Whenever my LFS gets some in (they have them in stock now) I try and wait four or five days before getting any to make sure they are alright. I've been fortunate in that I haven't lost any in a while. The two I purchased recently appear to be very healthy.

You should come to Florida! I have not seen a fish store that doesn't have them. :crazyeyes:

I wonder if it has to do with the seaso? There is probably a capture season, since I believe most are still wild caught. They probably become scarce prior to the next season. Just a guess.

I can't find the oto in Ga. I purchased 6 at one time from liveaquaria and had good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom