The rare and elusive oto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO I think a lot of petstores and lfs don't like them due to high mortality rates. Otos need good water conditions and a lot of places that sell fish probably don't maintain water well. I think that they avoid ordering them b/c so many arrive dead and many more die later. It's just a big hassle I guess.

Oto's have a higher than normal death rate from breeder to buyers home. Mine lasted a week. Didnt buy anymore. The only fish death I have had in the year these tanks have been setup.

yeah i bought around 6 spread out throughout my tanks. lost all 6 and lost one i had before within about 60 hours

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Funniest part was that when I went to get more where I got the first two about a year ago, the fish room employee didnt know what I was talking about when I asked for otos. Tried 3 other stores (all said they hadn't had any for quite some time). I finally went to a different PetSmart then I usually go to and bought four of the five they had in. I now have five of them total and really like them. Does anyone know their lifespan? One of my orignal 2 is about one year old so far.

After I ordered 5 bristlenose plecos I saw about 20 otos at Petsmart today. Great :(

I want these...tiger otocinclus....slighly larger than regular otos, but about 10x the price...my LFS has regs for $1.99 each, but the tigers are about $15 each.

Attachments

• ekkwill_1832_47618673.jpeg
    ekkwill_1832_47618673.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom