This is cyanobacteria, isn't it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TracyRee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok. I've been fighting what I thought was a algae problem. biweekly water changes, no ammonia, nitrites....

Yesterday i did a 30% water change and gravel vacuum and today there are spots of green slime on the gravel already!

After a bit of research I'm thinking it's cyano!! What do you think?
Imean, algae wouldn't grow back in ONE day, would it???

Cyano will definitely grow back in a matter of hours, quite honestly; it is unreal how quickly it can form again. If you can "peel" it off several times a day and increase water changes to twice a week for a while you *might* get rid of it, but maybe not. The antibiotic Maracyn works very well, I used half-dose when I had it, and it got rid of the cyano very effectively, without putting my tank into a mini-cycle.

Algae can grow bank in one day if conditions are right. The telling sign of cyano is STINK. Take out something with the bacteria/algae on it and give it a good smell :)

This sure sounds like cyano. With the help of people here I got rid of it by placing my tank in a total blackout for 3 days. No lights. Blanket over the tank. Didn't even feed the fish. All plants and fish survived just fine and.....................no more cyano :D

Cyano usually has a distinct smell and is like a slimy covering. There are 2 ways to treat it, both mentioned above....black out or medicine.

Back
Top Bottom