This may sound silly.. but I have to ask!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackpearl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Uh.. is it normal for fish to have such long ... p o o p :oops: hanging on their ... thing.. :oops: ?
I know I overfed, but .. I just wanna make sure it's not a disease :?

Not a silly question at all!

If the long stringy poop (I know :oops: wish there was a better way to write this!!) is happening frequently, the fish may be constipated. Feeding a pea often relieves the constipation. You wouldn't believe what comes out of my bettas when I feed them a pea! 8O

I use frozen peas. They don't seem to break into mush in the tank water like canned peas. I put just a little tap water in a glass measuring cup, put a few frozen peas in, and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Let cool (I rinse in a splash of RO water but I guess it really isn't necessary), peel the skin (throw away the skin), and feed the pea to the fish. My bettas will only eat the pea if I break it into little pieces like their betta pellet food. :roll: But it gets them to accept the pea, and that's what you want. Hope this helps!

Thanks An t-iasg :eek:
It happens quite regularly that I started to think it's normal...
I've been feeding them fish flakes only, so maybe it's time for a little variation. :wink:

Hi Blackpearl,

I see in your sig line that you have platies. I have never had platies, but I don't think that the stringy poop hanging off them is normal. I think varying their diet is a good idea. Most fish like bloodworms and daphnia. I have read that daphnia is good for digestive health too, and helps prevent constipation. My bettas like the freeze-dried bloodworms and daphnia from Hikari. Or some lfs have a freezer with cubes or sheets of frozen food. You just break off a piece of the frozen food, thaw it in a cup of tank water, and feed! Hope this helps!

Edit: A clarification on my post about peas: Microwave, cool, peel the skin. Discard the skin, and feed the "meat" of the pea to the fish.

Thanks again for the info. Just one last question about the peas.
Should I prepare the peas just before feeding, or can I microwave, cool, peel, and store them in a container, then feed when necessary?

I usually feed peas to my fish when we have peas with dinner. You could cook them, peel them and store them, but I suggest only for up to a week.
The platies and placo with enjoy the peas!

Maybe it's just an incorrect generalization, but I always heard if the poop is sticking the fish are being overfed. Are they plump? Put it this way, it's easy to overfeed a fish but difficult to underfeed.

Back
Top Bottom