thoughts on adding an otocinclus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently fish in cycle with three large pieces of driftwood from established tanks. Used tetra safestart. Have about 10 anubias and java ferns. Got four guppies and two red wag platies. Not gonna add any more fish until fully cycled. Was wondering about adding an otocinclus though which is basically an algae eater. I guess it is similar to a small pleco. Would they be ok with my fish? How many should i get? 60 gallon tank. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ph 7.8

You need to wait a few months after your tank is cycled and established. They are very sensitive fish, and often die even if all measures are taken. So wait till after your tank is cycled and you have enough algae and bio film.

You could add about ten.

I am not the one to quote this but I have heard 1 for every ten gallons but I don't know if that's true or a myth or whatever...I have 2 in my 20H and 2 in my 55g but I also have 2 BN pleco's in my 55g...so someone that's more familiar with this will soon chime in with what they know

Edit:+1 agree with Scottyhorse

I have 4 in my 55 but I also have a pleco. It took awhile until I finally kept them alive but they are great little cleaners:)

Otos are sensitive I have learned but i think that they are excellent algae eaters but I have found that they like to be in groups

ya I had one but he disappeared while I was at summer camp so when I got a new one I got two and they lived a lot longer and seemed to be more happy

I wouldn't keep less than 5 or 6. I realize I only have 4 but with a pleco I just don't want to overstock

I think one of the real things to think about with oto's is food source. I mean oto's are cool but they really have a true purpose in a tank, to help control algae. You dont have that yet. Also, as stated above their sensitivity. :nono:

I like to let the walls get a bit of biofilm and Algae before I add them. A group is best. The thing about Otos, they are wild caught and can be quite stressed. Look for ones that have good weight. Check their bellies in the cup before they are bagged. Offer blanched zucchini and spinach.

Live plants give them security and more surfaces to clean. The ones that survive can do very well.
I love mine , they school with my Cory habrosus.

Also there are 6(?) or more species of Oto. Try to get ones that have similar markings if possible. I had a very frustrated gravid female with the wrong male ;)

Their purpose isn't to control Algae. They only eat certain kinds. Their purpose is to be super cute sucker mouth catfish that need to be fed and given a good environment.

If you are getting a lot of Algae you need to correct that. If you like a super clean tank you can wipe the front wall, but leave the other walls alone.

Their purpose isn't to control Algae. They only eat certain kinds. Their purpose is to be super cute sucker mouth catfish that need to be fed and given a good environment.

Lol, I said it had a true purpose not that was the only.

Wiki quote: Otocinclus spp. are popular aquarium fish. They are often purchased as algae eaters, and are more suitable for the job in smaller aquaria than many of the larger loricariid relatives, such as plecostomus.

And I totally agree about the super cute good environment :)

Lol, I said it had a true purpose not that was the only.

Wiki quote: Otocinclus spp. are popular aquarium fish. They are often purchased as algae eaters, and are more suitable for the job in smaller aquaria than many of the larger loricariid relatives, such as plecostomus.

And I totally agree about the super cute good environment :)

Just tired of people ( not you )thinking bottom fish or algae eaters don't need to be fed or considered same as other fish :)
Just thinking of the wider audience.

I gave my otos some of those sinking algae wafers and they didn't even touch them!!! All of my other fish ended up eating it

Mine eat wafers now. But they also like my specialized Shrimp food n shrimp pellets and veggies.

So no otocinclus for now. I would rather have a few of them as opposed to a pleco. Looking at them at the petsmart tanks they look pretty small. Since they swim all over the place is there a risk of them being sucked into the filter tube? I have an AC 110 and those openings are big enough for stuff that small. Is this a concern? Is there something on the market like mesh or something to put over the tube openings? Or does everything just instincively swim away from the suction?

Mine used to get stuck in the filter tubes!! I was always rescuing them until I changed filters

Back
Top Bottom