Tiny Little Mites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pocketrout

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was doing a waterchange on my tank today and noticed tiny little mites on the floating plants in my tank. If I knock them into the water the surface tension of the water allows them to jump back onto the plants. I also have Lotus lillypads and it looks like the mites are damaging the pads. Any advice on exterminating the little SOB's?

When you say mites, are they bug-like or worm-like? Quite often when you can see tiny creatures in your tank you have a buildup of waste from overfeeding, and you need to step up the water changes, even as often as 20% twice a week. If you remove their food source you will see a vast reduction in numbers. What are the other tank inhabitants?

They are bug like and approximately .5mm, pretty darn small. Tank inhabitants are a selection of tropical fish community fish and I have already seen a decrease in their numbers since I cut back the younger lily pads.

Well just to let you know I found a solution to the mite problem. First I eliminated their food source which was floating plants and the Lotus lilly pads but after several days the numbers of the mites went down but there were still a lot. So I broke out the flamethrower. I used one of thoes long Scripto lighters and went around the inside edge of my tank where the water meets the glass. Needless to say the mites are toast!

I used one of thoes long Scripto lighters and went around the inside edge of my tank where the water meets the glass.
Yikes! Those are big guns! 8O (Kids, do not try this at home...)

They are called springtails, most folks with planted tanks get them sooner or later. Your solution sounds as good as any!

I've removed them before with a wet/dry shopvac!

I'm betting since they were on the floating plants they were aphids. I have seen this in my own tank. Aphids can be black, white, or green and love floating plants.

Actually Springtails sounds right since the little devils do a lot of jumping around. Aphids are typically larger than the ones I had.

pocketrout said:
Well just to let you know I found a solution to the mite problem. First I eliminated their food source which was floating plants and the Lotus lilly pads but after several days the numbers of the mites went down but there were still a lot. So I broke out the flamethrower. I used one of thoes long Scripto lighters and went around the inside edge of my tank where the water meets the glass. Needless to say the mites are toast!

ROTFLOL, You have got to be kidding, hot anything and cool glass in my opinion do not mix. If I was top do that I'd be cleaning up 55 gal of water, my fish, and getting killed by my better half.

There is no risk. The flame would have to be held in the same spot for several minutes. Also water is such an excellent heat-sink any heat on the glass is transferred to the water very quickly. I pass the flame along the glass at about 1ft. per second.

Back
Top Bottom