Tiny whitish fur growing?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikeyy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

My tank has been up and running for over 6 months. Recently all of a sudden there seems to be really tiny white fur growing on some of my fake plants what is it a bacterial bloom? All the fish seem to be fine i have tested the water and all parameters are ok.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452280820.275968.jpg

I have done a few 20% water changes but it still seems to be there.

Any advice on how to treat this would be much appreciated?

Thanks

Mikey

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long are your lights on for and what type of lights and how old are they?

I think that would be algae. Changing your lighting use may help. Reduce amount of food you feed, do you use flakes? And upping your pwc frequency/schedule and or amount.

You can remove the plants, spray them with hydrogen peroxide or dip in a bucket of water with say maybe 1 gallon and a 1/4 cup of peroxide let soak for 1/2 to an hour - brush off and rinse well, dip in treated water to get off chlorine tap water or pour over some pwc tank water & replace into tank.

The light are on from about 4-5 hours a day once I get home from work till I go to bed they are the same age as the tank so little over 6 months. Am not sure what type they are just says Power glow - 20w t8.

I haven't fed them for the last few days and kept the light off and it hasn't really done much. I do use flake food but mix it up and use pellets and bloodworms as well.

I normally do a PWC weekly and will be doing it one tomorrow will do a 50%. Will try washing the plant in the water removed from the tank and replacing.

Is there a K rating - might look like a 4 digit number like 7600K on the bulb?

You might want to get a plant growing bulb with a rating between 5600K to 8200K. Any bulb with that rating usually referred to the range of light as Daylight bulb, just make sure the K rating is as mentioned. It does seem like poor light then if you only have them on for a 4-5 hour photo period.

Use the peroxide when you do it, it will kill the algae. After rinsed there are no toxic effects to the fish or tank (shouldn't be anyways).

I cant see a rating on the bulbs when am having a look just now.

I dont have peroxide at the moment so will just have to do it with water form the tank. Its only recently happened so am not sure whats kicked it off.

What type of algae could it be?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452292103.814801.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452292120.826376.jpg

I actually had something like that grow on my manzanita branch it never harmed the fish and sometimes they would actually pick at it

Back
Top Bottom