To much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meloyelo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Added 3 Platys to my 26 gal bow front tank a few days ago. They hang out a lot at the top of the tank behind the filter outlets where the water is calm. I'm running 2 filters, so I was wondering if there is possibly to much current for them? They do swim around in all areas of the tank, but at the top is where they stay most of the time.

Thanks!

There is no way to have too much filtration IMO. Tiger barbs are pretty active, so the fact that they are swimming everywhere is good. They like to hang out at the top a lot. What filters do you have on the tank?

Yes i agree that you cant really have too much filtration, but you can have too much water flow. Some fish like it, most fish like a little bit of flow, but some dont.

This topic applies to a situation I am thinking about. I have a 16 gal tank with an aqueon filter. I have another aqueon filter that I was actually thinking about adding. Which fish do not like water flow?

Platys, not tiger barbs. Lol

If your parameters are good, no need to worry. :)

What fish are you interested in adding? I know my angel likes medium flow, but my hatchets and smaller tetras dont seem to like it as much but a little is fine

As stated, there is no such thing as overfiltering water. There is, however, too much flow. The best way to do this is to adjust the flow, if you have an AC filter it's customizable.

Good deal. Water parameters are excellent so no problem there. I guess they just need a break up there in the calm area. Thanks for all the info.

Meloyelo

Back
Top Bottom