Tough to read

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ehult57

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think my tank has finally cycled....hallelujah ! BUT...the API master kit was difficult to decode. I have a 75 gallon tank. Every time I tested the water the levels appeared to be zero. After 2 months of confusion, I took a different approach. I tested nitrates in the aquarium and in some "purified" baby water. At first glance, they looked identical. Thankfully I read someone's post about looking at the tubes from below. WOW, what a difference! I could clearly see my tank is at about 10 for nitrates. Has anyone heard of this happening? Anyway, if anyone is having trouble with their readings, try looking at the tubes from below instead of "head-on".

I think my tank has finally cycled....hallelujah ! BUT...the API master kit was difficult to decode. I have a 75 gallon tank. Every time I tested the water the levels appeared to be zero. After 2 months of confusion, I took a different approach. I tested nitrates in the aquarium and in some "purified" baby water. At first glance, they looked identical. Thankfully I read someone's post about looking at the tubes from below. WOW, what a difference! I could clearly see my tank is at about 10 for nitrates. Has anyone heard of this happening? Anyway, if anyone is having trouble with their readings, try looking at the tubes from below instead of "head-on".

I'm so glad I saw this post! I have the hardest time reading those things. Can you post a picture or explain what you mean by looking at the tubes from below? I just lay mine against the card between the color strips and look at them that way. Would love a better way.

Yep, neat trick I found out as well. Just hold the tube up over your head and look at it from underneath. Make sure there's good lighting in the room too. You can also take the stopper off and place the tube on a white piece of paper and look down into it from above, that can help too.

Back
Top Bottom