True Freshwater puffer fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Raimeiken said:
awesome, i might buy the peruvians if i can't find any red-eyed puffers. Do you think i could mix both of those puffers or will they kill each other?

The South American (or Peruvian) puffers are very docile as far as puffers go. They would probably be killed if mixed with other puffers.

I have a very happy South American puffer in a 29 gallon planted tank... he's super-cute! :)

hey you live in mesa right? do any of the LFS there have true red-eye puffers? just curious, if they do i might drive up there and buy some :)

BTW how long have you had your peruvian and is it in a FW tank?

Hi there folks. I have or have had all the puffers above mentioned. FW red-eye puffers (T lorteti) are to be kept singly or in pairs. I had a female for a while & added another 2 females & a male. She killed the 2 females within a week & after spawninf w/the male 3x killed him too.

I have a FW 12" fahaka (T linneatus) in a 125g tank. He is a very mellow fahaka & lives w/2 10" plecos, a red-tail & 2 rainbow sharks. He ate a school of neons & a rainbow shark. I'm considering adding a large cichlid w/him, not sure yet.

I have a pignose (T suvattii), his name is Hannibal. He was floating in a holding tank in a plastic bag, next to another one in another seperate bag. He bit through both bags & killed the other pignose!

I have 3 figure 8s (T biocellatus) they live in a BW tank (SG 1.008-10).

I have 2 adult 6" GSPs (T nigroviridis) and a 5" Ceylpn puffer (T fluvitilis), living in SW (1.022).

I have 5 South American puffers (C assellus) & a lonely dwarf puffer (T travancoricus), in FW.

Any questions?

Pufferpunk's Tanks http://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRequest=userview&userID=1918

The Puffer Forum http://puffer.proboards2.com/index.cgi

awesome tanks bro! hey how big were your red-eye puffers when they spawned? and how the heck did you make them spawn, i've read that puffers are really hard to breed in captivity. That's awesome man, did any of the fry's survive?

Bro huh? Didn't you see my photo? :lol: Actually, some puffers are pretty easy to breed, if cared for properly. I feed them the best foods & do weekly 50% water changes on all my tanks. I never saw any fry. The eggs were really tiny. I read that they take 21 days to hatch & to start adding Liquifry as soon as I saw eggs, which I did. I kept seeing "swimming" specks, but even w/a magnifying glass, couldn't tell if they were fish or just dust flecks. I kept a sponge over the intake tube so no fish would get sucked uup, so there could have just been some loose specks floating around.

Raimeiken said:
awesome, i might buy the peruvians if i can't find any red-eyed puffers. Do you think i could mix both of those puffers or will they kill each other?

No, I just said the red eye would kill the SA puffer.
Most puffers other than the dwarf and SA puffer are far too aggressive to keep with tankmates, generally if you're going to keep puffers be ready to only keep just the puffer.

Back
Top Bottom