Types of african cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are over 1000 species of cichlid currently described by science in the African rift lakes. There could even be as many as 3000 or more in existence there. It probably better if you just google this one. :)

absolutangel04 said:
There are over 1000 species of cichlid currently described by science in the African rift lakes. There could even be as many as 3000 or more in existence there. It probably better if you just google this one. :)

Didn't know there was that many :(

It can become quite over whelming. First narrow it Down to a continent, then a certain lake if you choose Africa that is. That's where I had to start.

Bully405Customz said:
It can become quite over whelming. First narrow it Down to a continent, then a certain lake if you choose Africa that is. That's where I had to start.

Oh ok I will do that! Thanks

are you setting up an african tank?

here's a guideline for research to look up:
- lake victoria
- lake Malawi
- lake Tanganyika

some africans:
- Mbuna incl Auratus and Red Zebra from lake Malawi
- Pseudotropheus incl Demasoni from lake Malawi
- Aulonocara incl sunshine yellow peacock from lake Malawi
- Cyphotilapia incl Frontosa from lake Tanganyika
- Tropheus incl Moori from lake Tanganyika
- Lamprologus incl 'Shellies' from lake Tanganyika
- Haplochromis incl Flameback from lake Victoria
- Pseudocrenilabrus incl Egyptian Mouth Brooder from lake Victoria
- Astatotilapia incl Nubila from lake Victoria

as stated before there are thousands. iv selected a few from each lake as a small guideline - cos there is a LOT of stuff to look at if ur vague haha

btw, its not the best idea to cross lakes. if u have a tank set up with say Labs from Malawi, then its not a good idea to put a lake Victoria cichlid with it. the food and parameters can be slightly different, affecting one or both of the fishes' health, or the aggression of one type will mean it constantly attacks the other. there are exceptions to this - cichlids have their own individual personalities after all x

Bully405Customz said:
I little research really goes a long ways and is more than worth it in the long run.

Yea I just did a little and learned a lot though . All African cichlids don't get along!

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
ur an exception to humanity i agree ;) its harsh but we love you anyway ronz! ha xx

well what cichlids do u like?

Electric yellow labs :D

Back
Top Bottom