Using Peat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleParr

Aquarium Advice Activist
In the setup of my 33 gal South American tank, which I am hoping to stock with discus, tetras, and corys, I am considering using peat as a fliter medium in my :? aquaclear power filter. Has anyone used peat before, is it a good choice for these fish, and how do you use it best?

Peat is going to lower your pH and soften the water. A little bit goes a LONG way. I would use ceramic rings instead. They hold more bacteria and don't affect the water chemistry. Also, and I may be wrong, but I think Discus need a larger tank than 33 gal. You may want to PM BrianNY about that. He knows everything about Discus. :)

The amount of peat you use depends on how large the tank is, what you want your pH to be at and so on. It's pure experimentation. But I would not advise that you do it. You have to replace the peat ever so often to maintain the current levels. And if you do have a pH swing, it wil end up killing your fish. What is your current pH level?

A link to Ceramic rings: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24341;category_id=2563

Fishyfanatic said:
With a pH level of 7.0, why would you want to change it?

See below:

LittleParr said:
Maybe I should just use standard ways of lowering the pH for my discus/characins?

My understanding is that Discus prefer softer more acidic water...especially for spawning. Using the standard methods like Peat will get you there.

Back
Top Bottom