Want to use old driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenricae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After a few years off, i'm starting up a new tank. I was going through my old supplies and have a couple of really nice aquarium driftwood pieces that i used in my old tank. I had stored them in sealed buckets for the past 3 years. The wood was still damp...

I tried boiling it, but it wasn't really working out since it's large and forks out in a v shape... I ended up filling up the sink with hot water (our hot is super hot out of the tap) and letting it soak overnight. Now i have it drying out...

I figure i can let the tank sit empty once set up and cycle for a little while. Think i need to add something that kills bacteria or fungus (like Melafix) or should the wood be fine? or should i be tossing it? seems like such a waste to chuck out.

I bet its fine. Hot water would kill any bacteria, but fungus is more likely to be growing on wet wood in the dark. If it doesn't look like it has excessive fungal growth I would still use it.

If you can boil water in a kettle/stove pot and pour it on it, this will kill of any bacteria. It also might help remove some of the fungas, but I'm guessing on that one.

Boiling won't damage the wood. It's one of the most reccomended ways to sterilize and leech tanins out of wood and it works great.. :) Sometimes the pieces are to big to fit in a pot though..lol.

Yes, but thats when you do a side at a time. I got a 60 qt stock pot and I had to do it like this, then remove all the racking from the oven less 1 to use, wrap the rack in foil or atleast get a piece of foil under it to catch any bugs that fall out if there are any in your case, then bake at 175 for 3 hours. let it air cool, preferably suspended to it has 360 air flow around it, once its dry and cool, toss her in the tank.

Craigslist yeilds ton of prep equipment for fish keepers.

I have a big 10 gallon fish fryer that works great for boiling driftwood. alternatively, running it through the dishwasher, without soap of course, is a good way to wash it off

Back
Top Bottom