Water smells bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SinaiTSi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've just had 2 new tanks setup and they both started smelling bad after a day. One is a 55 gallon with my Oscar in it while the other is a 30 gal. with a few tinfoil barbs. Both have the correct sized filters and I haven't overfed, what else could be the problem?

Maybe your water is stale, you havnt mentioned how often you syphon, this could be the problem.
Have you tested your water?

Welcome to AA, SinaiTSi! :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi:

Do you have test kits? We can help you better if you could post your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH readings.

Is the tank cycled? Did you use fishless cycling, or did you do it with the fish you have?

What kind of filter do you have? Oscars produce alot of waste for their size, and need overfiltered tanks.

Finally, is the water hazy or cloudy? Any green sheet-like growth on the gravel or walls?

Thanks for all the help and I think I figured it out. I tested the ammonia and it was too high. I was cycling with the fish I had, which was, a few hearty tinfoil barbs in one tank, and in the other a 10" Oscar. I also added in some stress zyme in both tanks to help with the bacterial filtration. I'll test later and let you know if I get better readings.

if you say you just started these tank, that means you havent cycled them yet, and they are in the process of so it smells.

It will take a few weeks to cycle. Definitely pick up the liquid test kits and monitor the water daily. Do small water changes as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom