Well than

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It may be better to go with cardinal tetras instead of neons. It just dawned on me that none of us mentioned the difference in temp preferences between bettas and neons. Bettas like warmer water around 80 or so and neons usually do better in the mid 70s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not sure if my lfs carries Cardinal tetras anything else that may be suited?they also don't have harlequin rasbora either

Sent from peliper

I'm not sure what all they have off hand but I have a day off tomorrow and I'll probably go check them out and see exactly what they have. The web sight gives a broad list of - Community fish; Tetras, Mollys, Guppys, Danios, Gouramis

Sent from peliper

Here's a list of all the fish that my lfs has Mixed fruit tetra knight goby Congo tetra pearl gourami giant danio gold barb powder blue gourami bloodfin tetra black phantom tetra danio feeder guppy neon tetra cherry barb glow light tetra green tigger barb blind cave tetra bssemani rainbow black paradise gourami hatchet tetra. There are some others but they where way too expensive

Sent from peliper

A school of black skirt tetras will most likely get along just fine with a betta.

They look soo different that the betta should ignore them. There are occasional psycho bettas that attack anything, but those are rare.

Would a black phantom be just as sooted? I asked them about black skirts and they can't get any at the moment. Or world it be best to wight till they get some?

Sent from peliper

Would a black phantom be just as sooted? I asked them about black skirts and they can't get any at the moment. Or world it be best to wight till they get some?

Sent from peliper

black phantoms should be fine as well just remember, they are a schooling fish and need ot be kept in a group. The only fish that won't work with bettas are either aggressive or have big flashy fins that somewhat resemble a betta such as a fancy guppy.

The issue I have with Skirt Tetras is they are major fin nippers. At least the ones I've known. I would not put Skirts with any long finned fish. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think a 10g is too small for a school of Tetras AND a Betta. But if you stick with small calm fish it might work. Esp with lots of plants.

Have a backup plan, every Betta is different. Some kill all tank mates. Some are super chill.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just got word that my lfs has female bettas would 2 or 3 be fine with the male betta?

Sent from peliper

Unless the female and the male pair, she will be harassed. I've even heard of the males killing the female after she has given birth because the males are the protector with their bubble nests. I wouldn't recommend more than one female though.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I did a little test with my mothers female beta where I put it In my 10g but didn't let it out of the net and the male flared ones until he got closer to the net then stopped and just spread out his fins. After about 10 minuets or so they both started nipping at the net(one at the side and one at the bottom not near each other) like they wanted to be together

Sent from peliper

I did a little test with my mothers female beta where I put it In my 10g but didn't let it out of the net and the male flared ones until he got closer to the net then stopped and just spread out his fins. After about 10 minuets or so they both started nipping at the net(one at the side and one at the bottom not near each other) like they wanted to be together

Sent from peliper

Either wanting to be together or watching to fight each other. They don't call them fighter fish for nothing.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

He stopped flaring his gills once he got close and she never flared hers. I'll try them together without a divider between them and keep a close eye on what they do. But ever sense I put her back in her tank they've both been more mopey than normal. She sits on a little bridge and he swims back and forth along the back wall. They're kinda bumming me out right now

Sent from peliper

Oh boy... you BETTER watch if you put a male betta with a female! I would never, ever do that. Way too risky. Almost guaranteed one or both will be seriously torn up or dead.

Even if the bettas do want to breed, the male beats the female almost to death in the process. No females with a male allowed.

Back
Top Bottom