What fish could i keep with a betta in 26 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeesymelon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 26 gal long tank and I'm going to be stocking it! I have already put my current betta in there from a 5 gal thank I have now sold! Now it just looks stupid with the one 3 year old betta in that massive tank so I want to stock it! What can I add? Could i add 3 endlers guppies, 11 neons and 3 sword tails? Is that over stocked and can those fish be with Bettas? Thanks

make sure you properly cycle your tank before adding fish, i recently made the mistake of not cycling and lost quite a few fish. ive got a 29 gallon with a beta, a baby tire track eel, 1 angelfish, 4 khuli loaches, 1 molly and 2 little pitbull plecos. the beta pretty much gets along with everyone, i have an ornament squidward house/easter island head that the beta pretty much claimed as his house. he sometimes does that posturing thing betas do when another fish gets close but he has never attacked. im under the impression a single beta will be fine in pretty much any community aquarium just make sure you dont have any fine nippers in with the beta or he will get shredded and of course never add another beta. i like tossing a single beta in any community tank as they are nice looking, interesting and hardy fish, the beta survived the cycling process no problem. you could also add a few more fish than i currently have in my tank if you would like but the more room for your fishies the better. lastly ive been on a freshwater eel craze lately and a long tank with a sand bottom would be great for a small eel, once it grows however a larger tank would be required. if your planning to buy your fish at a pet store you could also ask the person working what fish would work best in your tank. hope this helped a bit.

make sure you properly cycle your tank before adding fish, i recently made the mistake of not cycling and lost quite a few fish. ive got a 29 gallon with a beta, a baby tire track eel, 1 angelfish, 4 khuli loaches, 1 molly and 2 little pitbull plecos. the beta pretty much gets along with everyone, i have an ornament squidward house/easter island head that the beta pretty much claimed as his house. he sometimes does that posturing thing betas do when another fish gets close but he has never attacked. im under the impression a single beta will be fine in pretty much any community aquarium just make sure you dont have any fine nippers in with the beta or he will get shredded and of course never add another beta. i like tossing a single beta in any community tank as they are nice looking, interesting and hardy fish, the beta survived the cycling process no problem. you could also add a few more fish than i currently have in my tank if you would like but the more room for your fishies the better. lastly ive been on a freshwater eel craze lately and a long tank with a sand bottom would be great for a small eel, once it grows however a larger tank would be required. if your planning to buy your fish at a pet store you could also ask the person working what fish would work best in your tank. hope this helped a bit.
Thanks, so are you saying what I mentioned in the description is alright?

im not incredibly experienced so dont take my word as law but yeah what your planning to put in seems fine. i dont know much about sword tails so you may want to double check on those but im under the impression they do well in a community tank.

ah i didnt know that about the guppies, are they fin nippers? also i love the snail profile pic.

ah i didnt know that about the guppies, are they fin nippers? also i love the snail profile pic.

Betta's don't like flashy fins on other fish is what I have read.

Thanks for the snail compliment. I raise purple, pink and blue mystery snails. Sometimes the colors are amazing. They fade with age but don't we all? Lol
IMG_1478488993.279705.jpg

ditto on the Beautiful snail profile pic
and I love the look of your aquarium

and I keep my betta with guppies though it is in a 55 gallon with plenty of space.
male guppies vary on aggression. for instance i started out with 4 fancy males and 1 cobra male (who is ironically the nicest)....then one fancy died when i added females to the tank and the rest became kind of aggressive (I don't know if it was because their hierarchy changed with the dead male or with the additions of females). but among my guppies there are varying degrees of "aggression." I just recently added endlers and they seem the most rambunctious of the bunch despite being smaller. Though none really bother my betta and vice versa.
However when i first added him he took a bite out of a couple of guppy fins and one died.

If you like guppies....you might want to try females. Also as an insurance benefit get guppies that are different colors than your betta ( i have heard this helps)
I keep kuhli loaches with mine. I also keep corydoras (aneus), mystery snails, and cherry shrimp.

If the betta is 3 years old just wait a couple months and it will probably die then you can have whatever you want

Back
Top Bottom