What fish eats MTS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there any fish that eats MTS? I have an overflow of them in my 15 gallon. I am hoping to migrate the plants and fish to a 55 gallon soon and know that MTS will hitchhike too.

Is there a fish that eats MTS? any loach strong enough LOL

i don't know of any that can stay in a 15 gallon, but for a 55, any loach will make mincemeat of mts. I can't keep mts because my clown loach decimates them immediately upon entry into the tank (even if I bury them).

Collect them and get them ready for shipping. If you post them in the classifieds or the barter/trade forum I'm sure lots of folks would love to help you reduce your stock of them ! I'll be looking for some very soon as I'm doing one of the 20G's with a PFS substrate.

you coul dput a baby clown loach in there and it would take care of it, he couldn't stay in the tank long, he would out grow it quickly

I agree with MSU and Defekt- my yo-yos absolutely decimate MTS and every other snail! I actually tried to bring some home from my work (at the LFS) to sift through my PFS, and the snails were sucked out of the shells before they even got to the substrate! However, I also agree that 15 gallons is too small for any loaches I can think of offhand- do you have a bigger tank that you could move them to when they are done eating snails?

You can perform several different dips on your plants when you wish to move them over to the larger tank. Potassium permanganate is a common snail killer that kills eggs as well. Fortunately for you MTS are live-bearers so you don't have to worry about egg cases on the leaves.

A quick hydrogen peroxide or bleach dip before going into the new tank should take care of them, though I've heard that MTS are VERY hardy.

severum mama said:
I agree with MSU and Defekt- my yo-yos absolutely decimate MTS and every other snail! I actually tried to bring some home from my work (at the LFS) to sift through my PFS, and the snails were sucked out of the shells before they even got to the substrate! However, I also agree that 15 gallons is too small for any loaches I can think of offhand- do you have a bigger tank that you could move them to when they are done eating snails?

That was hte question -- I am moving to 55 gallons soon :p and don't want the MTS as hitchhikers :) I promise I will not keep a loach in the 15 gallons :p

My clowns won't touch my MTS, so I have Burmese border loaches in my 75 gal and we'll see what happens. LOL. I moved the clowns to the 125 gal as they are getting bigger and bigger.

I have blue botias, yoyo's & clowns in a tank with MTS that I introduced for them to eat but they do not touch them at all. The MTS only come out for a few hours in the middle of the night and even if I do not feed the fish for a few days, the loaches will not touch them but they decimate ramshorns. The MTS shells are apparently too hard for them to even bother with.

My four zebra loaches don't touch my MTS.

Don't move your substrate to the new tank and you shoudn't have much trouble. I've never seen any MTS on the plants.

Take a look at your tank at 2-3am when the lights have been out for hours. If you have MTS, they will be all over the plants, rock, driftwood and top of gravel! or at least mine are. If I turn on the lights randomly when they are out, they will all disappear into the substrate within a matter of minutes. They seem to be highly nocturnal or at least so in my tanks.

TwoHobbies said:
My four zebra loaches don't touch my MTS.

Don't move your substrate to the new tank and you shoudn't have much trouble. I've never seen any MTS on the plants.

I don't know if they are eating my plants but every morning the plants and driftwood are covered in MTS. They can hide in your filters, on your plants and ornaments and you might not even know it.

Dwarf puffers are pretty aggressive and according to dwarfpuffers.com should only really be kept in a species only tank.

I agree with 7enigma. A bleach solution dip will usually take care of hitchhikers.

Back
Top Bottom