What fish is good for 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 on the neons. I have four in each side of my divided 20g betta tank and they do super..(which is roughly 10g on each side)

Rivercats said:
You may feel that neons are too active for a 10 gallon but believe it or not they are recommended for a 10 gallon and are easily obtained. Slow-dagger is 15 and I am pretty sure is limited to buy what is available from a LFS. Not trying to argue here but while you feel neons are not suitable they are quite commonly kept in 10 gallons due to their size.

Yes but I think they shoulda stick to fish for their tank size. They may do okay but they ideally need a 20g. They are kept in 10g due to their size but it doesn't make it right. They still need more room to swim , plus a 20 is perfect for a suitable school.

You may feel that neons are too active for a 10 gallon but believe it or not they are recommended for a 10 gallon and are easily obtained. Slow-dagger is 15 and I am pretty sure is limited to buy what is available from a LFS. Not trying to argue here but while you feel neons are not suitable they are quite commonly kept in 10 gallons due to their size.

being a common occurrence or even commonly recommended doesn't really make it "right". People keep betta it tiny bowls. Liveaquaria states they only need 1 gallon. The same can be stated about goldfish for sure and many others on top.

I understand money constraints but I'm a firm believer you do your best for your fish. If you have a 10 gallon tank choose the fish that are best for it. The fact he's got an already stocked tank, with a couple guppies and cories that are too big for it really makes a 10 gallon unsuitable for a whole school of neons on top. Maybe if the tank was empty I can understand someone adding a school, I may not agree but I do understand.

normal_exclamation.jpg

That's an exclamation point rasbora. They're TINY - smaller than neons, and very, very full of personality. They're active, but you can have a good sized school of them. There's tons of micro fish like this - you just have to look for them. :)

Also, silver hatchet fish will work in a 10 gallon, you can only have three though.

Dwarfs are just different corys that stay smaller. Pygmy, peppered, skunk, panda and false julii are some of them. These ones range between 2-2 1/2 inches full grown.

I'd suggest rehoming the corys you have and going with a shoal of 4 dwarf corys and would maybe try a sparkling gourami. 10 gallons sadly does not leave you with a lot of room to work with. Personally I don't think a 10 is ok for corys but I know many that do keep them in 10s.

Endlers are great little fish but if you don't want more guppies then I wouldn't bother with them. They are very similar and in many cases endlers are cross bred with guppies.

Maybe if the tank was empty I can understand someone adding a school, I may not agree but I do understand.

Earlier you suggested rehoming the tanks cory's and getting a school of 4 smaller one's even tho you wouldn't personally do it you know many do keep them in 10g. Plus maybe adding a sparkling gourami or some Endlers. My point was just you "can" keep neons in a 10g tank... not should you as you stated, but many people do same as you stated about the cory's. And what would be the difference between adding Endlers to the tank with the two guppies but not neons. It's still adding more small fish. Everyone has to do what they feel is best for their fish, we may not all have the same opinions tho on what is best, it doesn't mean someone is wrong, Personally I wouldn't have a problem keeping a small school of neons in a 10 gallon with 2 guppies JMO. And I do think the cory's need to go because they get too large for that size tank.

Back
Top Bottom