what gravel cleaner is best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steeledarren

Aquarium Advice Activist
i was wanting a gravel cleaner for my 60 cm deep tank, any ideas? what make is best, i was looking at those tetra tec ones or a jbj one but they are hard to get in the uk. has anyone got a preference or are they all the same, just thought id ask as you might need a bigger one for a deeper tank

I use a Marina Aquavac that I got at Petco. I like it because it has a longer suction tube for my deeper tank.

I think the diff brands are pretty much all the same, it is more important to choose a proper size.

I have a 3" diameter one which is long enough for my tank, but the water velocity is quite low so doesn't get a lot of the stuff out. Plus, it is difficult to get into nooks & cranies with such a big vac. I rather much prefer my 1.5" one, higher water velocity (even tho the water flow rate is less due to smaller tubing, compensated by the smaller vac head) & more maneuverable, even tho I have to get my elbow wet.

Now if they make a long 1.5" one, it would be ideal for my tank.

I'd recommend some sort of system that connects to your faucet. the brand doesnt really matter, i call mine a python but its a lees brand from walmart ($25 or so).. i did upgrade the vac tube though, it came with a 1.5 or 2" by 10-12" long tube but i got a 1.5x24" tube so that i dont have to stick my arm in my 150g to clean the sand. no need for a 24" tube in a 10g tank, but a 12" tube in a 24" tall tank isnt very practical either

Wow Realy interesting

eek.gif
Wow thats really interesting. Thnx for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
So... dumb question here... I am cycling my first tank and have not gotten a gravel vacuum yet... how exactly do they work (the kind that hook to your sink) - is there a switch or something on the handle and it can suck the water and trash out of your tank and then replace with good water? Geez... my tank is in my bedroom and about as far away as possible from my kitchen sink...

yes, depending on the model, it will either have a lever to switch between vacuum and fill or something similar. They work great. I hook mine to by bathroom faucet when i change the water in the tank in my bedroom, but you can get extensions for them or just buy the tubing and fittings from a hardware store for alot less

Thanks! So do they generally fit on most faucets? My bathroom would be much closer. Do you worry about adding the tap water directly to your tank before conditioning it? Sorry - lots of newbie questions - I have not had a tank since I was a kid and want to do this right :D

you can get an adapter for it... i got mine which went from the standard faucet thread to a water hose thread... but depending on the model, it may come with the adapter

This is a pricey (but very well made) faucet adapter:
Indoor Faucet Adapter - Lee Valley Tools
Cheaper versions can be found at hardware & RV shops.

There are different vac designs. The python type that mfd is talking about use your faucet to generate a siphon, and you flip a switch between draining & filling.

I use a much simpler set up. I have the "standard" manual vac with a flap valve. You shake the vac to fill the hose with water to set up a siphon, then you just use gravity to drain the water to any place lower than your tank. <I dump mine out the window to a flower bed - water & fertilize my plants with my pwc.> I fill my tank with a simple "garden" hose (actually a RV water hose rated for drinking water) hooked up to my bathroom faucet.

Good idea - there is actually going to be a perenial bed outside my bedroom window this summer and they would like aquarium water :)

ok so i opted for a cleaner i found on ebay, a jad 24" auto siphon thingy lol, well at least it means i can get to the bottom of the tank without getting wet

Back
Top Bottom