What is a good staple for my julidocjromis transcriptus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Should i be looking a a cichlid formula?

Are there any particular brands?

Pellet or flake?

What size pellet?

Ok so i ordered offline

I got NLS pellets (also for community) and hikari mini cichlid excel

I went fir the excel because i always like to see some veggie/spiriluna in the formula. Even with my ciclids.

I went fir the excel because i always like to see some veggie/spiriluna in the formula. Even with my ciclids.

I personally would not feed my fish anything that contained MSG or astaxanthin. Plus if you read the ingredients you'll see lots of low quality binding agents and corn fillers. The other comment you made about the veggies if you read the label the order of ingredients is the percentage of content and you'll see spirulina is the fifth on the list in both foods. Now to the actual veggies show me on that list where they are? Where as NLS has spinach, broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, tomato, pea, red and green cabbage, apple, apricot, mango, kiwi, papaya, peach, pear. The other issue I have with Hikari and most other fish foods is they use the leftover parts that the other industries don't use rather than the entire fish, so there is more waste which is evident from the ash content. Fish can assimilate only so much mineral content, and any excess will simply be adding unwanted pollution to the aquarium water.

I could go on and on with regards to fish nutrition but as Pablo states "the proof is in the pudding".

Fish meal, wheat flour, wheat-germ meal, flaked corn (processed), spirulina, dehydrated alfalfa meal, krill meal, brewer's dried yeast, enzyme, astaxanthin, garlic, DL-methionine, monosodium glutamate, and vitamins and minerals including stabilized Vitamin C.

New Life Spectrum:

Whole Antarctic krill meal, whole herring meal, whole wheat flour, algae meal, soybean isolate, beta carotene, spirulina, garlic, vegetable and fruit extract (spinach, broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, tomato, pea, red and green cabbage, apple, apricot, mango, kiwi, papaya, peach, pear), vitamin a acetate, d-activated animal sterol (D3), vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine, DL alphatocophero (E), riboflavin supplement, folic acid, niacin, biotin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydro-chloride, l-ascorby-2-polyphosphate (stable C), ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, cobalt sulfate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, choline chloride

New Life International Inc- Fish Food, Books, Aquaculture and more! - Basic Fish Nutrition

Last edited:
The nls pellet was too large for my little julie

They make NLS pellets in many sizes. NLS is all I use now, everyone seems very happy with it. They even make flakes.

The smallest pellets they make are so small it just looks almost like dust. Those were too big?

They make NLS pellets in many sizes. NLS is all I use now, everyone seems very happy with it. They even make flakes.

The smallest pellets they make are so small it just looks almost like dust. Those were too big?

They have pellet sizes from 0.5mm which guppies can eat all the way up to 10mm for the big boys, there is a size for anything and everything. I'd start with 1mm Thera or cichlid formulas.

Back
Top Bottom