What is the perfect size tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liulady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I know, I know...this is a major matter of personal opinion. But, hear me out on this one :whistle:

I've had so much fun helping my son with first his 10 gallon tank and then his 30 gallon upgrade from that. I am starting to think that I want my own tank! But, as tempted as I am to get a huge one, I am wondering what you all think is the "perfect" size?

You know...not SO big that I'm gonna get overwhelmed maintaining it, but big enough that I won't be incredibly limited with my fish choices.

After doing some very quick research, I think I'm leaning towards 55 gallons. What do you think? What is a good, manageable size? Just curious. :)

The perfect size is the one that you can afford. Not just financially, but time wise as well. You see how much you put into your son's 10 and 30 gallon tanks.

Another way to look at it is, what fish do you want? If you have a dream fish, what is the ideal size for it? Can you afford to buy that tank? Do you have time in your schedule to maintain that size? Look at the cost of accessories as well. If you buy a 55 gallon kit, it may come with a filter, but is it a sufficient filter? Will you need to add a second to truly have adequate filtration? Gravel or sand? Plants? Lights?

Seems reasonable. While you still may not be able to get some of the bigger fish, your options with a 55 are still quite large and varied.
Larger tanks may tank longer to change the water and scrub the algae, but its much easier to maintain quality water stability. Plus, if you get a Python or some other sink-attaching hose, water changes are a breeze.

My answer to your question would be: The perfect tank is the largest one you can fit in the desired location.

I've got two 55 gallons and starting to regret the second one I got. I mean it's a good starter tank but if you plan on having a planted tank I find it hard to aqua scape. It's only 12.5 inches wide. If you want a big tank but nothing too overwhelming i would go for a 75. Same height/length as a 55 but 6 inches wider. I got into the hobby a couple years ago and man it can be addicting. I made my mistakes like most but once everything is in place it's really a joy to do. Once I get my basement finished my dream tank is a 180g. That would give me endless possibilities as far as combinations of fish and size of them.

Thanks everyone! Especially Catfish Lover...that is exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. I didn't realize that the main size difference in a 75 versus 55 gallon tank is the 6 inches added to the width. That is really helpful.

Keep it coming! This is helpful...

For me, the perfect size is about what a DSA 100g is.

60x18.5x21.5 - I dislike tall tanks, but I like width and length. Bump up to 72x24x21.5 and it'd be about the biggest I'd care to go (there aren't many fish I want to keep that couldn't fit in it, lol).

I just don't like tanks that are less than 18 wide. Feels too skinny.

Hmm... I guess a nice cube is good too. 24x24x24 (60g) is fun for having one or two beautiful fish in a nice aquascape ;)

Back
Top Bottom