What is this on my gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrage22

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is this brownish stuff coating the gravel and the decorations, as you can also see on the shell... are these some type of algae??

Attachments

• IMAG0738.jpg
    IMAG0738.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 98
Only a couple months old, so it is still a new tank. Thanks, that must be it.

Only a couple months old, so it is still a new tank. Thanks, that must be it.

Newer tanks usually have a healthy supply of silicas still in the water ... and diatoms use silicas to produce their shell. Generally once the silicas are gone, they go away. If the diatoms persist in your tank after a few months, your water source could contain silicas (common in groundwater sources).

I've had diatoms for months, with no sign of it going away. They do not harm the fish at all and you can get fish that will eat it ... I believe otto's do.

Yes definitely get a few Otos. We have the same problem in our tank. We looked one day and saw a brown spot on the back of the tank after we saw our gravel getting the same color. Next thing we knew, it was all over the back of the tank. We tried cleaing ourselves but it didnt do the trick. Someone told me that Otos really do well with the brown algae. We bought 3 of them and I sware all of the algea is just about gone

The only problem is, I don't really want any more fish in my tank right now until i figure out my pH problem. my pH hovers in the mid 8's most of the time. At one point it was good at about 7.6, but usually its 8.4-8.8. Right out of the tap its good at about 7.4, but once i add the api stress coat, and let it sit, it rises like crazy. My cardinal tetras don't seem to mind so far, but I definetly need some advice here:banghead:.

Well when you are able to fix the Ph issues, definitey try Otos. And they are super tiny and they dont grow alot. Half the time I have to try and find them because I cant see them. You wouldnt think they would clean the tank well, but they do.

Back
Top Bottom